Day 8 - Watertown, NY - Middlebury, VT


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Vermont » Middlebury
August 7th 2013
Published: August 9th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Today we veered off track due to two different recommendations from travellers in the breakfast room. Boldt Castle in the Thousand Islands on the St. Lawrence River was our destination. We headed northwest to a small town called Alexandria Bay, NY. This is where you catch the ferry out to the castle. We were on the first ferry out to the castle and were we glad we got there first! It was magnificent!!! The sun came out and we toured the castle before the rush of people started coming in. Each ferry that pulled up to the dock was fuller and fuller. People compare this castle to the Hearst Castle in San Simeon California. I have seen both now and we all agreed that the Hearst Castle is far grandeur. We all walked the grounds and looked at the beautiful masonry and landscaping. They had old photos posted of how the area looks in the winter. Brrr....I wouldn’t be happy up here in the winter! The day was warming up and starting to feel muggy. We knew we had to get back on the road and start making our way to our final destination. We made a quick lunch out of the cooler, and headed back south. We were excited for our drive through the Adirondacks. I was looking forward to seeing Lake Placid and the beautiful drive to get to that area. I must say....I was a bit disappointed. The drive was very uneventful and the views were not what I was expecting. We finally came in to Lake Placid and my goodness! It was soooo busy we just drove through. If we had stopped, we would never have gotten back on the road. We were able to snap a few pictures and then the navigating started. The roads are very narrow and potholed around this area and trying to figure out which road is what was difficult. We did manage to make it to our hotel in one piece and decided to order pizza for the night.
Tomorrow....Bar Harbor, ME!


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement



Tot: 0.081s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0473s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb