Beautiful Day Paddle on Lake Powell


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Utah
January 18th 2014
Published: June 21st 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 37.4594, -110.354

We usually head out to Lake Powell around Thanksgiving but missed it this year. That is a great time to be there because the wind is usually calm and there are few big boats out on the lake. This year we went later because we were not able to go at Thanksgiving and it was beautiful weather as well!

Got to the boat ramp and got the boat certificate that we were not carrying any waterborne contaminants and then went down to get on the water. The water is down about 20 feet from normal and we were afraid we would run into mud where we usually put in so we decided to launch from the boat ramp. We also did not have our kayak trailer so it would have been a long haul to carry it down to the water.

We paddled across to the other side enjoying the scenery as we went along. Things look different with the water down as low as it is. There are rock formations that we have never seen before that are now sticking up out of the water. Because of the muddy bank and the aircast on Laura's foot, we did not get out and explore when we got to the other side.

Ate at the Driftwood Lounge at the Wahweap Resort. (a big splurge!) There were not many people staying there but we enjoyed the dinner and then retired to the room to watch and movie before making plans for the next day.



Additional photos below
Photos: 71, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.049s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0297s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb