Salt Lake City, Utah


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Utah
July 8th 2012
Published: July 10th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Timpanogos Caves Timpanogos Caves Timpanogos Caves

In American Fork Canyon, just outside Salt Lake City, UT
Yea! We are at Audra’s house in Salt Lake City! Felt really good to pull in and know we will be in the same place for two nights! Today we are going up to the American Fork Canyon just south of SLC to climb up to a cave. SLC is really a great town – very clean and in the bowl of mountains all around! It is a bit hazy to clearly see the mountains in the distance, but still fantastic. We arrived at the mountain and checked in for tickets (thanks, Audra, for setting us up!) The climb up to the caves (there are three off them interconnecting) is 1.5 miles with an elevation changed of just over 1,000ft. The trickiest part was the no railings for most of it on a fairly narrow path! Definitely a bit nerve-racking with the kids! They, of course, thought it was a blast! The cave tour itself took about an hour and was really cool. The three caves and tunnels span about ½ mile. The cave itself stays at about 43-deg in the summer while the outside temp today was well into the 90’s. The walk up was definitely strenuous, but the walk down not too bad except on your knees.Absolutely worth the walk!



After we came down, all the kids did the Jr Ranger program, took the oath and received their patches (thanks, Audra and Janith for mentioning this program!) Ice cream and the gift shop rounded out the experience there then back to SLC. We looked up another restaurant from Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives and found the Red Iguana – a fantastic, authentic Mexican restaurant. Turns out it is Alexis’s FAVORITE place so we ate there in honor of her (she is in Italy on her dig.) I can see why she likes it – it was beyond delicious!



On the way to Audra’s for some necessary laundry, repacking the car and planning, we drove by the Mormon Temple and learned a bit about their traditions. One of Audra’s best friends, Marcie, is Mormon and she was there at her kid’s baptism and has learned a bit about the religion. Very interesting – always neat to see what others believe.


Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement

Abby pondering in the caveAbby pondering in the cave
Abby pondering in the cave

Probably remembering something from science class!
Hard to believe these will not meet in our lifetime!Hard to believe these will not meet in our lifetime!
Hard to believe these will not meet in our lifetime!

They grow about 3/8" each year on average.
REWARD!  Mexican food!REWARD!  Mexican food!
REWARD! Mexican food!

Red Iguana was FANTASTIC!


Tot: 0.062s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0351s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb