John Jarvie Ranch, UT


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Utah
June 21st 2012
Published: June 21st 2012
Edit Blog Post

John Jarvie Ranch

This historic property built in 1880 provides a glimpse of turn-of-the-century frontier life in Brown's Park. John Jarvie, a business man from Scotland, chose this particular one because of the naturally occurring river crossing. For years it had been used by Indians, fur trappers, travelers, and local residents. Jarvie figured it would be an excellent spot to establish a business. At its height, the Jarvie ranch operation included a store, post office, river ferry, and cemetery.

At the historic ranch, you’ll find the stone house, which is a one-room, rectangular building. It was built by outlaw Jack Bennett, using masonry skills he learned in prison. This is also the museum where displays decorate the walls and a video of the history of the ranch can be viewed. You’ll also get to duck inside the two-room dugout where John and his wife Nellie first lived. It is built into a hillside with a south-facing entrance overlooking the Green River. You can stroll over to the blacksmith shop and corral, which were constructed using hand-hewn railroad ties which drifted down from Green River, Wyoming, during high water. Finally, you get to pretend shop at the general store where Mr. Jarvie sold goods, which is a replica of the original which was built in 1881. It is furnished with many artifacts from the Jarvie period and also contains the original safe which was robbed from the men that murdered John Jarvie.

Visitor Information

Tour Hours
Self-guided grounds tours always available.*
Ranger tours:
Memorial Day - Labor Day available Monday - Saturday **
Labor Day - Memorial Day available Tuesday - Saturday 10 am-4:30pm**

Historic Site Contact Information:
Park Ranger (435) 885-3307

For additional information contact:
Bureau of Land Management
Vernal Field Office
170 South 500 East
Vernal, Utah 84078
(435) 781-4400


Additional photos below
Photos: 43, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.202s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 15; qc: 29; dbt: 0.132s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb