Zion National Park


Advertisement
Published: May 24th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Hatch, Bryce to Kanab Zion


We left Hatch (Bryce) and headed only about 60 miles south towards Kanab. Crazy Horse Campground. Thankfully we only had a short drive as the 40 mph gusts when you are towing a fifth wheel are quite scary and we had to pry Roy's fingers off the steering wheel when we arrived.

Kanab is a small town about 40 miles south of Zion and a gorgeous drive through canyons, open land and winding roads.

The entrance to Zion is much like all the others, you hand over your parks pass and I.D and head in. Not so fast you people with wide ended vehicles. So we knew that the road that cuts through Zion is Highway 9 and with the fifth wheel attached we couldn't get through the mile long tunnel. We had no idea we had to pay $15 to have an escort through the tunnel as we are too wide. Basically there is no escort they just shut down the tunnel for you to drive through the middle of it. It is quite a tunnel and I suppose they need to recuperate the money they spent building it for 3 years back in the 30's.

Zion again is so different from the other parks we have seen on this trip. The rock formations are different and as you can see in the photographs it is quite spectacular as far as views go.

We had to park on the other side of the park and walk back. They have a few restaurants and outdoor stores just outside Zion and shuttle buses if you need to ride. We waked into the park and took the shuttle about 5 miles along the Virgin River to Grotto drop off point. We decided on one of the hardest hikes of course, why take the easy more leisurely routes! the Angels Landing Trail. This is a 5 mile round trip hike up to the top of one of the cliffs and what a hike it was. It is very steep with multiple switchbacks and the views of Zion Canyon are incredible. We made it up to Scout Lookout at 2 miles up and forgo the extra 1/2 mile to the summit as 1)it was crowded and 2) we didn't have the time.

The last 1/2 mile is the most dangerous with major sharp drop offs, narrow rock climbing and holding onto a chain. Only a few people have lost their lives at this point as was clearly stated by the parks Angels Landing notice board. Those afraid of heights should not attempt.

Zion is beautiful and I would probably come back here as a close second to Yosemite.

So far so good 😊


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement



Tot: 0.127s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0404s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb