Roadtrip SW USA...As the snow falls on Zion


Advertisement
Published: March 29th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Roadtrip SW USA...As the snow falls on Zion. My skin is tingling...my nostrils are blowing steam as I breathe...every one of my senses is alive. I feel like a young buck ready to roll in the snow and shake and shake off my white fur coat...ice droplets flying in a million pieces...like a dog emerging from the frigid surf and shimmering dry. It's great to be in Zion as the snow comes tumbling do... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 78, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Ancient wisdomAncient wisdom
Ancient wisdom

Thanks for the advice old fella!



29th March 2015
Into Zion

Memories
I won't say anything cliche about these pictures bringing back fond memories...these pictures are standalone magical...have literally created new, vicarious ones. I wouldn't have wanted to leave. What was that you said about a local camera shop and log cabin with a simple garden with acres of sky? I think I'd like to build a house of barley rice.
29th March 2015
Into Zion

Memories
Thanks for your generous comments Jason. What a buzz for me to recite my own memories so vivid in this blog. Every corner had images of beauty that made us gasp...and expectation of what was ahead. Here is but a taste.
29th March 2015

Thank you
I had forgotten that song. Dragged me back 40 years (at least)!
29th March 2015

Thank you
The thrill of being there so bright...the pics so hard to choose...seemed only right that I write this blog with Cat Stevens playing to bring back such special memories. There are some places that to sing at the top of your voice is the only thing to do...and others where only a lilting melody will do. The latter was such a time. And the only song I could think of was "Into White". Yes John...also dragged me back 40 years or so. Right song...right place!
29th March 2015

Beautiful pictures of Zion...
with the snow providing such a contrast with the blue ski and red rocks. Red, white and blue...America's colors. Our only winter visit to Zion had just a dusting of snow.
29th March 2015

Beautiful pictures of Zion...
You may recall us saying when we got to your place Bob how fantastic our SW USA trip had been...stunning vistas due to the polar vortex that gripped your beautiful country. Here is but a taste of what we meant...and what is to come.
29th March 2015

Wonderful story as always! And while I do not miss the cold winters of Canada, I will always admit a landscape blanketed with snow is a beautiful thing. We also really connected with your past story about US customs... not sure how many times we have encountered similar events and we always walk away asking, "What was there to gain in that display of arrogant bullying?" Now that you are in the US, enjoy the journey! Cheers, -Sean
29th March 2015

Wonderful story
Thanks Sean. Pretty easy to be seduced by a glorious landscape blanketed in snow for those from the land of Oz. It's one reason I shall return to Canada and maybe yet again to China. I seem to have a penchant for white Christmases and New Years. Yet to be blessed by a polar vortex...pure luck...no planning there!
29th March 2015

Well, you braved the polar vortex and you got treated to such wonderful views. Winter landscapes have their own charm. I wonder if you won that Wave lottery !
29th March 2015

Braved the polar vortex
You would have loved it Hem. The Wave lottery...optimism this blog...winners & losers next blog!
30th March 2015

Snow in Zion
Another great blog, Dave, and super photos. There's something special about snow in these parts. We had snow in Bryce, a perfect picture, and failed to get into Sequoia through snowfall in February. The road was far too dangerous - even for us! Keep on movin'
30th March 2015

Snow in Zion
Were you in Bryce this February David? We had to miss it as we headed south for The Wave lottery and the only way back would have been a total backtrack as the other way was closed. Times like that you just keep going. Look forward to seeing your pics from that area.
2nd April 2015

Cat and I are there with you!
It has been a busy week+ and I am just getting around to reading this. Fantastic...as always. Snows falling softly on the majesty that is Zion. Thank you for making me smile. A simple garden with acres of sky.......... It is amazing how draping the ground in a white blanket of snow can be so mesmerizing and vibrant. You are no doubt a lottery winner. Glad you went off season.
3rd April 2015

Cat and I are there with you!
Hope Cat sang "Into White" when you saw him in concert MJ. Either way you know where it is to assist your recall as "We reckon Cat Stevens is here with us now...and maybe Merry Jo...smiling...snow falling gently from the trees...into their hair."
9th April 2015
Heaven in Zion

What a beautiful place! What a fantastic road trip you had!
9th April 2015
Heaven in Zion

What a beautiful place!
I let the photos and music do the talking Rachael. Beautiful with a capital "B".
4th May 2016
Everything emptying...into white

Wonderful shot
An amazing picture which really evokes a sense of being there.
4th May 2016
Everything emptying...into white

Wonderful shot
No nicer comment could be made Richard. Thank you.

Tot: 0.086s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 23; qc: 34; dbt: 0.0523s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb