On The Road Again; to Utah Canyon Lands


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Utah » Zion National Park
September 17th 2010
Published: September 22nd 2010
Edit Blog Post

Nan suffered a weed pulling injury in the front yard just before July 4, and we were not able to go on our planned July trip to Oregon. So, we have been stuck at the homestead recuperating all summer.

But now, we are on the road again. The day after Labor Day, when the hordes were back at work, back in school, off the road and out of the campgrounds, we launched our journey to the canyon lands of southern Utah.

The second night out, we stayed an RV park within a couple of miles of sister Mary’s house in Boise. The Boise trio (Mary, Jim and Gavin) had us over for a sapid Alaskan salmon dinner. We last visited them a year ago during our return trip from South Dakota. We had a great time. It is fun looking up to Gavin, who towers over us all.

Our practice is, after three days of driving, to spend two nights at the third night campground. So, we stayed two nights at the Heyburn ID Riverside RV Park situated along the Snake River.

On the way to Zion National Park, we overnighted at Lakeside RV Park west of Provo, Utah. As we passed south of Salt Lake City, driving west of Sandy, Utah, we horn tooted a h-e-l-l-o to brother Jim and his family.

We spent three nights at the Zion River RV Park in Virgin, Utah. Dogs aren’t allowed in Zion National Park, so Nan and I rode the shuttle bus up the canyon on separate days. We last visited Zion about 25 years ago with a pop-up trailer and our faithful dog Rummy.

I like the way the shuttle system at Zion moves visitors up and down the canyon. There are a few photos in this posting that represent the flavor of Zion.

We also visited the Kolob Canyonlands; an adjunct to Zion.

Paddy




Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement



23rd September 2010

Trip
Paddy, You and Nan seem to be enjoying your 5th wheel so much. Your pictures are gorgeous....Julia
23rd September 2010

On the Road Again
Hey Paddy & Nan & Shadow Happy trails to you. Keep an eye out for Lisa and her faithful companion Charlie Kramer. You may cross paths.
23rd September 2010

Dogs in Zion
Where did you get the idea that dogs were not allowed in Zion NP? They are not allowed on the trails but are in the Camogrounds, Parking lots and picnic areas. We have stayed in Watchman CG with electric hookups and when we go out hiking or out sightseeing our Lab Gordon stays in the motorhome. Mike
23rd September 2010

Greetings from CR
Great to hear from you! Looks like better weather than here. Fall has come early...and will be staying according to long range predictions. If you've got any influence, send some blue skies north by northwest! Have fun!
28th September 2010

Dogs in Zion
We were not camped in Zion, but in the town of Virgin about 20 miles away. We drove into Zion but had to take a bus to visit the sights. Shaddy was not allowed on the bus, and we could not leave him in the truck in the parking lot because of the heat. So, for us, for all practical purposes, he was not allowed in Zion. And we were away too many hours to leave him in the 5th wheel, so we had to visit the park separately.
15th October 2010

Memories of Bryce Canyon
Paddy, I'm reminded of a flight we made in 1992 to Monument Valley thence to Moab and climaxing above Bryce Canyon. Have a great trip. G

Tot: 0.389s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 17; qc: 86; dbt: 0.2541s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb