Red Fleet Dinosaur Trackway, Utah


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Utah » Vernal
April 23rd 2012
Published: April 23rd 2012
Edit Blog Post

This hike in Red Fleet State Park exposes visitors to a range of desert vegetation and an uncommon example of the area's rich fossil remnants from the age of dinosaurs. The 1.5 mile trail is marked with both trail markers identifying the direction of travel and points of interest, it wanders moderately up and down through rocky terrain to the shore of Red Fleet Reservoir . The trail ends at the last post (#18).

To find the dinosaur tracks from here, go to the juniper tree you see in front of you. Forty feet from the juniper, down the hill you will see a large track. Once you locate this track, walk north northeast, away from the lake and another 40 feet and start looking for others. The tracks lie below the high water mark all the way down to the water. There are several hundred tracks around this site. If you are visiting the trackway in the spring or early summer, the reservoir may be full and you will only be able to see a few tracks. Look right in the water and you may find a few more.



8750 North Highway 191
Vernal, UT 84078
435-789-4432


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement



Tot: 0.292s; Tpl: 0.03s; cc: 13; qc: 29; dbt: 0.2387s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb