Exploring a "mini" Monument Valley


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Utah » Valley of the Gods
October 8th 2007
Published: October 17th 2007
Edit Blog Post

This morning, Alan and I drive south of Bluff to a dirt road that leads into the Valley of the Gods. This “mini” Monument Valley, without the crowds, offers close-up views of spires and rock formations that back up to Cedar Mesa. The dirt road winds for 17 miles without any vendors, tour buses or crowds of tourists snapping pictures.

For the most part, we have the road to ourselves. We stop at every photographable spot, taking our time to compose the perfect shot. It’s so quiet that we can hear the leaves of the cottonwood trees shiver in the light breeze that blows across the valley.

Although there are no official hiking trails, there are plenty of areas to roam and explore. Later, we learn that due to its sacredness to Native Americans, the valley houses no artifacts, petroglyphs or ruins. No ancient person has left his mark here.

When we stop for lunch, Alan and I discover an area that must still be used for ceremonies. An entrance defined by lines of rocks marks the way to a rock fire ring and rock stove sitting near a cottonwood tree. We find ourselves whispering and walking in reverence.

Near the end of the loop drive, we reach our accommodations for the night, Valley of the Gods Bed and Breakfast. Our room in the former ranch house, built in 1933, has stonewalls that are 3’ thick and the bathroom includes a stone shower.

After settling in, Alan and I sit in rocking chairs on the front porch and watch the late afternoon sun as it bathes a distant Monument Valley in golden light. Owners, Gary and Claire, stop by to visit and tell us about life off the energy grid. The house is powered by solar and wind energy.

Once it’s dark, we return outside and stand in the front yard to gaze at millions of stars. The Milky Way is like a giant white smear across the dark night sky.

At breakfast the next morning, we enjoy crisp bacon, fruit-covered french toast and apple juice served in champagne flutes as we visit with fellow guests from Ottawa, Corsica and Santa Fe.

Later, Gary assembles a solar oven in the front yard. He places a roasting pan in the holder then closes the glass lid. After about 30 minutes, we begin to smell the onions, carrots and beef that will be tonight’s dinner cooked by the sun.

Alan and I linger in this quiet paradise as long as we can. But, we must reach Moab in time for the beginning of Alan’s photo workshop this afternoon so we ask Gary and Claire about availability for a winter’s visit. If all works out, we’ll be spending more time exploring the mesa and canyons of southeastern Utah while experiencing the warm hospitality at Valley of the Gods Bed and Breakfast.

To read more about Valley of the Gods Bed and Breakfast , visit my blog about baby boomer travel, My Itchy Travel Feet .


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



Tot: 0.392s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 29; qc: 152; dbt: 0.193s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb