A Rare Place to Relax


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Utah » Torrey
October 17th 2011
Published: October 25th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Downtown TorreyDowntown TorreyDowntown Torrey

Yellow aspens line Main Street in downtown Torrey
Torrey Utah is a very special place on the vacation scale.

In the western US, towns near national parks tend to fall in one of two categories: completely dedicated to the tourist trade with facilities overflowing with visitors, or working towns with nearly none of both.

The best tread a fine balance between the two, catering to visitors without being overwhelmed by them.

The very best are towns that cater to people from nearby areas getting away for a few days.

Torrey, surprisingly for southern Utah’s small towns, is one of these.



The bed and breakfast fit the vibe well.

I came downstairs to one of the better breakfasts I’ve had on this trip.

The owner loves to cook.

She grows some of her own produce, and incorporates it into the breakfasts.

It featured multiple types of fruit.



Downtown Torrey consists of all of three blocks.

They are lined with aspen trees, which were in full color.

Sandstone mountains appear in the distance.

In autumn, this may be the prettiest town in Utah.



I had to do more laundry today.

I was preparing for
Downtown TorreyDowntown TorreyDowntown Torrey

More glorious aspens in downtown Torrey
another long drive to a bigger town, except that there are no big towns in this area.

Thankfully, Torrey has a combination hiker hotel and campground.

It has washing machines.

The complex is built out of wood boards, giving it a beautiful rustic look.

I spent most of the rest of the day doing nothing, and really enjoyed it.

I like Torrey!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.297s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 28; qc: 99; dbt: 0.1904s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb