A brief encounter with Salt Lake City


Advertisement
Published: July 12th 2015
Edit Blog Post

We landed in Salt Lake City at around 12pm and once we collected our bags we went to pick up the standard size little hire car we ordered. We ended up driving away in large 4x4 which wasn't much more money for the trip and in a four wheel drive we are allowed to drive on unsaved roads and there are a lot of them around these parts!We stayed at the Peery hotel in downtown Salt Lake City and found it very easily. I only had to remind myself that "I need to be in the middle of the road" a couple of times before driving on the "wrong" side was second nature. As we were still too early for check in, we took our little big car across town to the gigantic Walmart to stock up on all the essentials which we'd need for the next month of living out of a car, we got big coolers, road atlases, 60 bottles of water and reflective windshield things to try and keep the car a bit cooler. Lunch was quick (although not the most healthy) and once back at the hotel I went to the gym for an hour and Becky wallowed in a lobster hot bath.We wanted to explore the city a little, so off we went on foot (much to the shock of the people on the front desk who couldn't understand why we didn't take the trax - basically a tram which ran up Main Street) to explore a little of the city. Salt Lake City is beautiful. The buildings are a mixture of old brick americana mixed with tasteful modern buildings and big wide roads. Downtown is totally non smoking, so people can't even smoke outside of the bars and everyone was so polite and kind. The city itself is surrounded by mountains and no matter which long straight street you looked along, there was probably a mountain view at the end of it.According to my Fitbit we walked a couple of miles before calling it a day and going back to the hotel for a well deserved snooze. We had been up since before 2am mountain time and had only had a few hours the night before so we were shattered and we didn't let the fact that it was before 10 deter us from getting tucked in to another amazingly comfortable bed.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.106s; Tpl: 0.022s; cc: 11; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0499s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb