Day 11 - On the Road Again


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Utah » Salt Lake City
July 29th 2013
Published: July 30th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Today was a travel day. Back to civilization, wifi and overcrowded cities. Hard to believe the contrast one hour's drive can make out here. We went from wide open expanses with nary a soul in sight to 4-lane highways brimming with people, buildings, cars, trucks, signs...stuff crammed everywhere. Makes you think (and also grateful for cellular towers).

Spent most of the day driving from Jackson to Salt Lake City. When we arrived, Todd had planned a special treat for the kids - an Alpine slide in Park City that he used to take his Trails West kids to each summer. They've expanded a bit, adding zip lines, a coaster and other small attractions. It took some coaxing, but we were finally able to get Sean to agree to ride, so we all hopped on the chairlift and rode about 2/3 up the mountain. Upon disembarking, they handed us our "sleds" and we rolled them about 100 yards to the top of the slides. Todd and Billy opted for the fast tracks, of course. The rest of us settled on the slightly less steep versions.

Sean was a good sport, and by the time he reached the bottom was struttin' around as if he owned that slide. Tommy, Billy & Maggie thoroughly enjoyed it as well. But we had tickets to the coaster as well, so headed to the other big attraction. Sean and I rode together due to his height, and I'm not sure which was more fun - the ride itself, or listening to Sean's single-sided starfighter battle the entire way down! He narrated quite the epic saga of cannons, blasters, enemy ships and what-not. Steven Spielberg would be proud.

We wrapped up the evening with the boys taking a 2nd round on the coaster and Sean egging Todd to go faster the entire way down for their trip. Billy and Tommy were disappointed they didn't have parallel tracks for racing, of course. Maggie opted to brush up on her gymnastic skills by learning to flip herself on the bungee jump thing-a-ma-bob.

By unanimous vote, a stellar good time.

Sorry for the short post today, but I need to catch up to current date, and it was a fairly uneventful day. We did hear from another former nanny, Deborah, and are hoping to catch up with her outside of Lincoln on our way to Des Moines when we head for home. Just loving running into folks we know while out here, so if you'll be out west in the next 2 weeks let us know! Tomorrow we head toward Lake Tahoe with basically another travel day and no definite plans. So who knows what we'll end up doing?!

Catch you tomorrow with a fun post of kid photographer pics - a bit of their perspective on the trip!
Marcia


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



30th July 2013

May we suggest a new vocation?
Marcia: you seriously should consider writing for a living. Your blog entries are absolutely wonderful -- as good as any similar "professional" writing around. So vivid yet nuanced and emotive. We feel so connected to you all and are delighted that the trip will be so memorable. And we miss and love you all.
31st July 2013

Short but Sweet
To fly down the mountain as fast as you can In only pajamas makes me such a fan It sounds like it was such a fantastic ride I know this is short, but please let it slide.

Tot: 0.13s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0632s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb