Old Saint George


COMING SOON HOUSE ADVERTISING ads_leader
United States' flag
North America » United States » Utah » Saint George
November 11th 2019
Saved: January 1st 2021
Edit Blog Post

Did they finally make a saint out of my dear Uncle George? He was my Mom's youngest sibling, and definitely, a real saint of a guy. He spent his life farming the very land my Mom and her older sister and widowed mother farmed from pre-Relocation days (WW2).



The other St. George is located in southwestern Utah, about a 90 minute drive north of Las Vegas. I have been there numerous times, for golf outings, to visit friends, and most often, to spend the night at a fabulous resort, Entrada at Snow Canyon.



I think for most people, the big draw is nearby Zion National Park, about an hour away. But do not underestimate the city of St. George and the surrounding area. Recreation opportunities are numerous, food options plentiful, and the scenery almost everywhere is strikingly red rocks. Snow Canyon State Park is a red rock playground, often quite striking against the light snowfall of southern Utah winters.



We found a cute little Thai restaurant here, called Benja Thai, and even got to know the owner. But the real highlight was finding Nielsen's Frozen Custard, not easily found in the western U.S. Staying at Entrada is a true resort experience, something you must try next time you are in Vegas or Utah.



One rather remarkable fact about St. G, it is the fastest growing metropolitan area in the U.S. Why? Retirees, new workers, and students. The population currently sits around 90,000 people.



Back in the 50s, St. George received some nuclear fallout from above ground testing at the Nevada Test Site in Yucca Flats.



The city is only about 70 square miles. The population is 70% LDS. I-15 runs directly up here from Las Vegas. It is considered one of the safest cities in the U.S. Notable (and former) residents include: former major league pitcher Bruce Hurst, former US Senator Howard Cannon, the Romney family, The Piano Guys, actress Amanda Righetti, and Tanya Tucker. St. G was also Brigham Young's winter home.



Many famous movies were filmed here, including Butch Cassidy, Jeremiah Johnson, Romancing the Stone, Stir Crazy, and Harry's War. Plus, it just looks like a great place for a movie.



A little over 90 minutes from Vegas, St. G is also about 4 hours south of Salt Lake City. For me, it is quiet, nice little town, mostly a stopover for a visit to Zion, and Bryce Canyon National Parks. A great place to stop and stay. See you there!

COMING SOON HOUSE ADVERTISING ads_leader_blog_bottom



Comments only available on published blogs

Tot: 0.062s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0348s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb