Day 15 - St. George, UT to Green River, UT


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Utah » Green River
May 26th 2012
Published: May 27th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Riding down the dirt roadRiding down the dirt roadRiding down the dirt road

My suspension was not built for this.
Wow, what a cold day! On our way through the Utah parks today, we were at high altitudes, and the temperatures for most of the day were in the 40s, and windy! We started this morning by heading out of St. George and over towards Zion National Park. Along the way we came across a great overlook of the valley and got some great pictures, but it involved riding down a very bumpy, rocky dirt road. The pictures were worth it.

We made it to Zion and saw some beautiful scenery, and the red rock cliffs were fantastic. There is also a really long tunnel through part of the park that was built in the 1930s into the face of the cliff that was interesting to drive through.

From Zion we went on to Bryce Canyon, but stopped in Mt. Carmel along the way for coffee and some pie. We stopped at the Thunderbird restaurant, which is the home of ho-made pies. A lot of people today will think that's something inappropriate, but they ran out of room for lettering on the original sign, so they cut off the letters 'me' in the word 'home' and called it 'ho-made'
The view from the dirt roadThe view from the dirt roadThe view from the dirt road

It was a bumpy ride, but it was worth it.
pie. We had thunderberry, which was a warm mixed-berry pie. It hit the spot on a cold day.

In Bryce Canyon, we climbed in elevation up to over 9,000 feet, where the temperature dropped to 41 degrees. It was a cold ride, but the scenery was beautiful. One of the park rangers told us it snowed this morning at the canyon, so I'm glad we weren't there for that.

Finally, it was on to Green River, where we are spending the night. Along the way we dealt with more heavy winds, but great canyons, red rock clifffs, and plateaus across the state. It stayed in the 40s and 50s, so we stopped for coffee again and got to chatting with a couple of guys riding trikes from Colorado. It was a good break, and then we were off again for the last 120 miles into Green River. We finally dropped off the plateau and the temperature finally rose to 66 degrees.

We made it a little before 8:00pm and grabbed a quick dinner at a local restaurant here. Nothing too special tonight, but it was a hot meal that took the chill out of our bones. I
Riding into ZionRiding into ZionRiding into Zion

The red rock is really impressive.
was still shivering through dinner the ride was so cold.

Tomorrow we'll head to Arches National Park and then on towards Boulder, CO. We'll spend the remainder of the trip between Colorado in the Rockies and back into Utah on our way to Salt Lake City. Another few great days ahead of us, and more to share as we get through these next few days.


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

ZionZion
Zion

What a beautiful day.
Entering the tunnelEntering the tunnel
Entering the tunnel

No lighting, it's dark in there.
Tunnel windowTunnel window
Tunnel window

This is the only light for the tunnel.
Red CanyonRed Canyon
Red Canyon

On the way into Bryce
Natural BridgeNatural Bridge
Natural Bridge

Really an arch, but in Bryce Canyon.


Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0394s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb