Day 10 - Bryce Canyon


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Utah » Bryce Canyon
May 19th 2013
Published: May 19th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Day 10 Bryce Canyon 001Day 10 Bryce Canyon 001Day 10 Bryce Canyon 001

Red Hoodoos at beginning of park
We got a slow start this morning, but we enjoyed the easy pace. We ate a light breakfast and headed out for Bryce Canyon Nationl Park. To get there we had to drive through Zion NP and got to enjoy the the views again. We were not sure we wanted to go to another canyon park since we had seen so many and Bryce is only 90 miles from Zion. But, we didn't have anything else on the schedule so we packed Maggie into the car and headed north. There were about 3 changes in the environment along the way; from green pastures w/ slow meandering streams like Germany; a national forest; and a bright red canyon, but nothing prepared us for Bryce. I don't think there is another place on the planet that looks and feels like it. When you look at the pictures of the "Hoodoos" and the Fins check out the scale w/ the pinyon pines. The hoodoos are hundreds of feet tall and have amazing range of reds, whites, and yellows! The views were from over 8000ft and we could see for miles across the Dixie National Forest. After visiting the park we drove down to the desert of northern Arizona to see Pipe Spring National Monument. Looking across the endless desert we were surprised by the lack of plants. The guide told us that at the time Brigham Young came to Utah, the desert was high plains grass lands similar to wheat. The settlers brought cattle and sheep with them which destroyed the natural grasses, leaving the now barron desert. They provided an interesting tour, but the main reason we went was to check the route we will take on the way to the Grand Canyon.

It was another great day, but we're both looking forward to a day of rest tomorrow. Then Monday we will head out to the Grand Canyon Village. We're sure glad we bought a 1 Year National Park pass before leaving home, we've more than made our money back already! They cost less than 90 dollars and each of the parks was around $25, we've been in Zion twice and will go to the Grand Canyon a couple times as well.


Additional photos below
Photos: 25, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Day 10 Bryce Canyon 008Day 10 Bryce Canyon 008
Day 10 Bryce Canyon 008

Bryce point, you stand out at a point overlooking part of the canyon, there is no way to capture the view snce we are surrounded by almost 360 degrees of canyon.
Day 10 Bryce Canyon 014Day 10 Bryce Canyon 014
Day 10 Bryce Canyon 014

Mi Hyon trying to capture views from Bryce point, that fence is on the edge of a 2000 foot cliff
Day 10 Bryce Canyon 017Day 10 Bryce Canyon 017
Day 10 Bryce Canyon 017

Amazing view from Fairview Point
Day 10 Bryce Canyon 025Day 10 Bryce Canyon 025
Day 10 Bryce Canyon 025

Natural Bridge, it was actually bright red
Grand Canyon trip 162Grand Canyon trip 162
Grand Canyon trip 162

entrance to Red Canyon on way to Bryce NP
Grand Canyon trip 203Grand Canyon trip 203
Grand Canyon trip 203

Some of the White Hoodoos
Grand Canyon trip 204Grand Canyon trip 204
Grand Canyon trip 204

Out at Bryce Point
Grand Canyon trip 243Grand Canyon trip 243
Grand Canyon trip 243

Part of the forest that was recently burned.
Grand Canyon trip 293Grand Canyon trip 293
Grand Canyon trip 293

Pipe Spring NM


19th May 2013
Grand Canyon trip 286

BEAUTIFUL
Gotta say pity it has a date on it as this pic is superb. If you are going to take more great shots might I suggest you take the date setting off and keep them coming!
19th May 2013
Grand Canyon trip 286

Dat Display
Point taken, we'll turn off the date ;-) Thanks.
19th May 2013

Hoodoos
Amazing views! I really like the hoodoos. Why are they called hoodoos?
19th May 2013

Hoodoo
It means to cast a spell...they cast their spells on you when you see them. They are breathtaking to see;-)
21st May 2013
Grand Canyon trip 204

Howdy
Hey Mike, Looks like you all are having fun... Great photos too! Cheers, Cal

Tot: 0.049s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 11; qc: 22; dbt: 0.0242s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb