Bryce Canyon


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Utah » Bryce Canyon
January 26th 2011
Published: February 8th 2011
Edit Blog Post

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
Hi Friends and Family,

We arrived at Bryce Canyon at a pretty decent time (20:45) and checked in!

Bryce Canyon was pretty easy to find in the ‘ol Bryce Town and the hotel was quite easy to identify too.

It was a Best Western (Plus) Hotel and before you roll your eyes, it was one of the best hotels on the trip when it came to luxury and comfort.

Suuuuurprise!!!

We’re in Utah baby!

The “BW Bryce Canyon Grand Hotel” was located just one mile from the entrance to the Bryce Canyon National Park.

I had heard so many wonderful things about the hotel and it was all good. Again, it’s low season so we were pretty much not more than four families of tourists and a complimentary buffet breakfast was included, fridge and microwave in room (Yes!), swimming pool and spa and of course, free WIFI.

Excellent service was given by all members of staff.

In many of the hotels that we went to, internet connections were either non-existent or a whopping $10 for 2 hours.

I don’t think so. We’re not that desperate….!

To be honest, there were a few cafes and fast food restaurants that had free WIFI connections but can you really see me lugging my huge laptop to some ratty place in the wee hours of the morning or after midnight, just because it’s free….I didn’t think so!

Therefore, if there was no WIFI then so what and when there was, I downloaded and tried to write something up for the blog whenever I didn’t feel so tired, as walking up steep hills in fresh air, snow and desert can be tiring didn’t you know?

Oh, lest I forget, breakfast in the morning.

In Europe, Britain in particular, bed and breakfast is a matter of fact but in the USA, it isn’t.

Breakfast (free) would be provided in only four hotels and that would be that.

You’re on your own mate.

Yes, each hotel had its own restaurant but would you pay $15.00 for a “breakfast sandwich” and saying that, it wasn’t easy to actually find a real “breakfast”.

Oh yes and also ice.

Ice machines were everywhere!

Ice cubes with everything!!

Funny Americans LOL!

We only had one night at The Bryce and what a darn shame.

There were so many lovely things to do ‘cos they had snow.

Real snow.

Real snow that was not causing traffic and or flight disasters and chaos!

Whilst we were in the US, the American media was full of stories as to how the East Coast of America was at gridlock ‘cos of the continuous snowfall and lowering of temperatures. We even saw a picture of a car that was covered in ice, literally covered in ice in New York.

New York I tell you!

Lucky us.

Anyway, I had plans of sleighing, snow-shoeing and maybe even a bit of “light” skiing, checking out cowboy entertainment at “Ebenezer’s Barn and Grill” with trick shooting, gun spinning and whip cracking but we just didn’t have any time for the extra stuff!

This is where we thought we might actually have to use our snow chains. We’ll see.

Time to go the National Park Service and Visitor Centre where we could get info, maps and see a museum exhibition about the history and science of the park. “The Small Young Gentleman” seemed to like Native American music and natural sounds as he always geared towards the headphones!

Maybe he liked the technology!!

After getting souvenirs, we drove to our first stop – The Natural Bridge – at an elevation of 8627 and what a beautiful sight we dropped upon.

Whoo!

Look at those arches called “The Natural Bridge” carved by different forms of weather and not water and the colours – russet, ginger and orange!

Aqua Canyon at an elevation of 8800 looking like some sort of stool-like contraption.

Ponderosa Point at an elevation of 8904 can be connected on a trail to Aqua Canyon but it was blocked off by nature and snow.

Rainbow Point at an elevation of 9115.

The Bristlecone Loop Trail.

The High Plateaus of Utah – Stairway to the Clouds – an apt description and very windy up there.

Thank goodness we came in the winter ‘cos Bryce Canyon has Black Bears and I had been reading a lot about how these bears were not afraid to go to human habitations, especially cars, and attack and destroy if they suspected any connection to food.

I admit it.

I was a bit scared about this.

I mean, if I were to be accosted by a bear, I would do my very best to defend myself and my family but I don’t want to have to do that. I’d rather not see a real bear at close quarters at all thank you very much!

Black Birch Canyon at an elevation of 8750 and very steep drops.

Fairfew Point at an elevation of 8819.

Piracy Point.

Sheep Creek Swamp Canyon. I’ve enclosed a video about that. What a name!

Bryce Point at an elevation of 8300 in which you can see every part of nature! You can do the Peek-a-Boo Loop Trail which is a strenuous 5.5 mile trek and normally takes 3 to 4 hours.

Under-Rim-Trail is a backcountry trail that ends at Rainbow Point. This trail is 22 miles long.

Hat Shop Trail!

Rim Trail Inspiration Point – high, rocky and slippery! Elevation 8100. It goes 5.5 miles and leads to Bryce Point.

Grottos.

Sunset Point at an elevation of 8000 for the best views when the sun sets! It’s a 1.5 mile long trail and is expected to take less than 2 hours and is considered to be the least strenuous trail below the Rim.

Rain Divide.

The Night Sky at Bryce Canyon.

The Paiute Indians say that the rocks themselves used to be people called “The Legends” or “To-when-an-ung-wa”. They were animals who could change into people but for whatever reason, they turned bad and thus were turned into rocks by Coyore- a god.

You can, if you look closely, see their faces, their sitting or standing positions and what they were holding or doing before they were “changed”.

Indeed in many Native American stories, the animal world and the human world were and are invariable linked just look at the film “Twilight” if you don’t believe me LOL!

Bryce Amphitheatre


The Rim Trail: Sunrise Point at an elevation of 8015 also has the Navajo Loop Trail which is a 2.2 mile round trip, takes less than 2 hours but is considered to be fairly difficult.

Horses Trail but not this time thanks. My backside is still reeling from the horse trek of The Black Mountains in Wales, last summer!

There were very few tourists at Bryce Canyon so few that we were practically the only tourists in many spots but again it was soon time to hop into the car to our next destination-

…..Vegas!


PS. I highly recommend “Best Western (Plus) Bryce Canyon Grand Hotel” in Utah!



Additional photos below
Photos: 105, Displayed: 26


Advertisement



Tot: 0.146s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 20; qc: 70; dbt: 0.0916s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb