Zion, Bryce, Canyonland and more


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Utah » Bryce Canyon
May 1st 2008
Published: May 12th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Glen Canyon
After the Grand Canyon we headed to Page, Arizona, which was to be our base for seeing Lake Powell in the Glen Canyon National Recreation Area. I find it amazing to look at such a beautiful lake and imagine the canyon that has been submerged. Water is a valuable resource in this area. The dam provides for a more even supply of water throughout the year to the areas surrounding it and downstream. Lake Powell is a big water recreation area. I was surprised at the number of house boats that were docked, it was like small cities!

Zion
The road into the canyon required us to disconnect the car from the RV. We had to pay an extra fee due to the size of the RV needing an “escort” through the tunnel. Actually it’s not an escort in the regular sense of the word. Instead what they do is stop the traffic in the opposite direction, so the tall vehicles can drive down the middle of the tunnel where it’s the tallest.

The canyon was impressive, but I found I didn’t like the feeling of being boxed in by the high cliffs.

Bryce
This was

Lake PowellLake PowellLake Powell

Glen Canyon National Recreation Area
awesome with all the various shapes and colors. We did venture just slightly below the rim, but it would have been fun to go further. I think it was Ebenezer Bryce who replied when asked how it was to live by the canyon replied: “It’s rough when a cow gets lost in the canyon.” I’ve probably totally messed up what he said, but could imagine a person who was all practical responding to that question.

This was my favorite of the places in the blog I’m currently writing.

Canyonland
We only toured the southern end. The northern section is separate.

I had a cold and we ended up limiting some of our activities. My ears would become stuffy and the sounds of the world would be muted, whenever we changed altitude. I was surprised at how little of an altitude change would result in my ears becoming stuffy.

Arches National Park
This was a fun place to view not only the arches but all the odd shapes.




Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Newspaper RockNewspaper Rock
Newspaper Rock

This is located south of Moab.
BryceBryce
Bryce

Arch, bridge or window? Arch.
CanyonlandCanyonland
Canyonland

This is a popular place with climbers. We saw several as tiny flecks up on the sides of the cliffs.
Arches National ParkArches National Park
Arches National Park

Arches are made by forces of erosion other than water.
Mexican HatMexican Hat
Mexican Hat

This is located near the town of Mexican Hat.
Bridges National MonumentBridges National Monument
Bridges National Monument

Bridges are made by forces of erosion from water. These are harder to photograph due to the similarity of the background material or the lighting. The arches are easier to see due to the blue sky that is visible behind them.


Tot: 0.098s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 33; dbt: 0.0428s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb