Mule Canyon Roadside Ruins Site Overview - Blanding


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Utah » Blanding
August 7th 2011
Published: August 8th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Mule Canyon Roadside Ruins Site Overview
The Mule Canyon pueblo is located along Utah Hwy 95, about 19 miles west of the intersection with Hwy 191. A very short, paved path takes you a few dozen meters to a stabilized excavation, partially protected by a large awning. An L-shaped roomblock, two-story tower and two kivas were excavated here by the University of Utah in the early 1970's. The pueblo was originally occupied briefly beginning around 750 AD during the Pueblo I period. However, the main occupation dated between 1000 and 1150 AD (PII - PIII). The 12-room, L-shaped room block would have housed 2 - 3 family groups, with the activities of daily life being carried out either on the rooftops or in the small plaza in front of the room block. The 2-story circular tower possibly served both as a ceremonial structure -- it is connected to one of the masonry kiva and the room block by a subterranean tunnel -- or as a signal or communications tower. It is within line-of-site with the Cave Towers site, also referred to as the Seven Towers site or the Mule Canyon Towers site. Artifacts found on the site, as well as the architecture, indicate influences from both the Kayenta or Western Anasazi and the Mesa Verde Anasazi.

Getting There
Turn west onto Utah Highway 95 from UT Hwy 191. Driving west 20 miles towards Natural Bridges National Monument, the sign access road for the ruins will be on your right.

What You Can See
A short walk along a path leads you past the interpretive sign to the remains of the circular tower, a key-hole shaped masonry kiva and the roomblock. Inside the kiva can be seen a foot drum, sipapu, masonry benches, niches, pilasters, a deflector screen and the openings for the connecting tunnels and the ventilator shaft.




Additional photos below
Photos: 44, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.061s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0305s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb