Hysterical Journey to Historic Places


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Texas
September 15th 2019
Published: September 15th 2019
Edit Blog Post

THANKS FOR YOUR SERVICE HOSSTHANKS FOR YOUR SERVICE HOSSTHANKS FOR YOUR SERVICE HOSS

After you enter the cemetery gate, take the second right and proceed to the tree. Look for the grave on the opposite side of the road from the tree.
DAN BLOCKER

Bobby Dan Davis Blocker rolled into the cosmos in DeKalb, Texas on December 10, 1928 tipping the scales at 14 pounds. At the time of his birth he was the biggest baby ever born in Bowie County, Texas. His folks were Shack Blocker and Mary Arizona Davis. Shack moved his family to O’Donnell, Texas, south of Lubbock and opened a store. Dan was raised there and got his book learning at Texas Military Institute. After a year among the Baptists at Hardin Simmons University in Abilene he transferred to Sul Ross State Teachers College in Alpine where he played football, performed in rodeo, and was a bouncer in a bar. He graduated from there in 1950, and a short while later found himself drafted into the Army for service in the Korean War. At the ripe old age of 23 years Dan Blocker was First Sergeant of Company F, 2nd Battalion, 179th Infantry Regiment, in the 45th Division. As it turns out, my uncle, George Oliver, was the Operations Officer of that battalion during the Battle of Pork Chop Hill. My uncle always spoke highly of Sergeant Blocker for his valor and dedication to his men. Dan received the Purple Heart for wounds he suffered at Pork Chop Hill and was discharged in August of 1952. He got a masters degree in dramatic arts and taught school in Sonora, Texas and in Carlsbad, NewMexico until 1958. He began an acting career between sessions of school in 1956, and by 1959 had landing a recurring role as Hoss Cartwright on Bonanza. He portrayed the gentle-natured Hoss character with a Stephen Grellet excerpt in mind: "We shall pass this way on Earth but once, if there is any kindness we can show, or good act we can do, let us do it now, for we will never pass this way again” Dan went up the flume on May 13, 1972 in Los Angeles. He suffered a pulmonary embolism following gall bladder surgery and is buried in the family plot back in DeKalb. God bless you, Hoss.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.227s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 45; dbt: 0.1274s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.3mb