South Texas Gulf Coast Trip


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Texas » Victoria
February 25th 2012
Published: February 26th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Saturday 25 February

I’ve been visiting at the my sisters house a few days and tomorrow evening or Monday I’ll head over to Harmony and leave a few things and load up some other things and go on a trip to the Gulf Coast from Port Isabel to South Padre Island. On the way to Port Isabel I will first stop at the Courthouse in Caldwell to take a look at the “Post Office Art” there. There is a mural there that was part of the Post Office Art program during the Depression as part of the New Deal Program. The courthouse in Caldwell is supposed to have the mural “Indians Moving”, of nomadic Indians traveling across the plains on horse and foot. After viewing that mural I will go west on Hwy 21 to Hwy 77 where I will head south to Giddings. There is supposed to be a mural there called “Cowboys Receiving the Mail” at the post office there at 279 E. Austin St. Then I will go south to La Grange to the post office at 113 E. Colorado St. where there is a mural called “Horses”. From there I will continue south to Victoria and overnight there.

I will probably invest the next day checking out the sites of Victoria such as the Riverside Park and Rose Garden, a 562 Acre park bordered by more than 4 miles of the Guadalupe River. It is on East Red River St.

There is also The Texas Zoo at 110 Memorial Drive which has good reviews for being clean and about the right size. There is also a Museum of the Coastal Bend on the campus of Victoria College at the corner of Ben Jordan and Red River. Admission is $3.50 (seniors – 55+ $2.50 ). The museum is open Tu-Sa 10AM-4PM.

There are some cannon from the French explorer La Salle’s ship on display there.

The next day I will take a trip to Goliad and the site of the Fanin Battleground State Historic site and the Presidio La Bahia where Fanin’s men were held prior to being marched out and massacred by the Mexican army during the Texas Revolution.

After touring Victoria and Goliad I will head south to the Texas Gulf Coast.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.085s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 32; dbt: 0.0345s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb