Day 41


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Texas » San Antonio
October 23rd 2009
Published: October 24th 2009
Edit Blog Post

October 23, 2009
This is what happens when we drive all day…we start to go mad…Example: Today we were entering San Antonio city limits. There was a pickup truck beside us and the driver had about a million papers and envelopes stuffed in his sun visor. I commented to Donna about it, “What could he possibly be keeping all those papers in his visor for” I asked. She looked over and said…and ladies and gentleman she was dead serious…”Is that a dead bird?”…in his visor?!!…Gee… I don’t think so!! I thought it was odd about all the papers…but a dead bird? Donna said, “I thought the papers were feathers…” When I told her what was in the visor we both started laughing like crazy people and of course John and Bill, in the front seat had heard none of this so they thought we had snapped…Anyway ...obviously we drove all day today from Pecos to San Antonio…the terrain changed remarkably when we got further out of Pecos. There was no more scrub grass, no more oil wells that looked like large birds pecking at the ground in slow motion…no more flat land. We had entered The Hill Section of Texas…so different. It could have been New Hampshire…well except for the occasional cactus. We had hoped to stop in a small town to get a sense of the Texas culture, but every where we stopped, the room rates were way more that we wanted to pay…so we kept driving assuming that we would come to a million hotels a we neared San Antonio. We were wrong. I don’t know if we entered the city from the wrong direction but we found ourselves in the middle of down town where the rates were really high…So after stopping at the Hyatt ($180.00/night...no way) we stayed in their parking lot and poached their internet and booked a place out of town a bit but more in our range ($79.00/night with free breakfast…still steep but better). We didn’t get to dinner until about 9pm which is why once we got there; we spent about half the meal trying to establish whether the Davy Crockett figure singing in the balcony was real or not...I'm serious!!! I think when you see the pictures you’ll understand just how impaired we were...tired, sadly…not drunk, to think for a minute that the animated guy was real…It was a great Mexican restaurant, we ate, witnessed a man proposing to a woman and then walked back to our hotel and went to bed.
Today’s Road Lesson: A bird in the visor…



Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.143s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0556s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb