Day 8 Sam Rayburn, Texas


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Texas » Sam Rayburn
March 3rd 2007
Published: February 19th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Biker's Funeral - Nacogdoches TexasBiker's Funeral - Nacogdoches TexasBiker's Funeral - Nacogdoches Texas

This was a solemn but colorful event that we encountered along the way.
It’s time to start exploring East Texas!, but not before an informative breakfast provided by the condo staff. Not many show up, as this is not their busy time of year, but Connie gives us her best Quiche and her best advice.
After breakfast we head up the road to a town called Nocogdoches. This is the oldest town in Texas. We get side tracked a bit and end up heading to Canton, which has the world’s largest flea market. It turns out be pretty big all right. The sun is shining brightly, but the wind is on the cool side, so we don’t stay too long. We buy a sundial on a pedestal from one of the vendors, as Joy has been looking for one for some time now. When chatting with the vendor, we find out that he is a big rodeo fan and attends the National Finals in Las Vegas every year. His greatest dream would be to come to the Calgary Stampede, but it is during his busiest time of years, so that won’t happen. He was most definitely a candidate to be the recipient of a Calgary Stampede poster, so we walked back to the
There was a boy from Arkansas, who wouldn't listen to his pa....There was a boy from Arkansas, who wouldn't listen to his pa....There was a boy from Arkansas, who wouldn't listen to his pa....

Another recipient of a Calgary Stampede poster. This gentleman attends the National Finals in Las Vegas every year, and would love to come to the Calgary Stampede.
car and got one for him. He wanted to pay us for it but we assured him that was not necessary, however we did insist on getting a photo with him and the poster.

Heading south again we pass through Lufkin as the sun is going down. Our destination is Broaddus, home to the East Texas Jamboree. The plan was to have dinner at the Catfish Junction Restaurant, but we got there just as the show was about to start, so we paid our money and took a seat. The venue was a theater style seating auditorium with a wide stage. First performer up was the local grade three teacher who belted out some hefty tunes.
After a brief introduction, the m/c asked if anyone was from further away than Minnesota, and Don put up his hand. When he told them he was from Calgary, they said: “heck, that’s just a couple of miles down the road”. (there actually is a place nearby called Calgary)

Various others followed, but one that stood out in particular was a young boy (Travis Johnson) who had the voice of a man. He was incredibly good, and very entertaining. His father was also performing as well. Like father, like son. At intermission time, the two of them along with the mom/wife came and talked to us. As it turned out, they are transplanted Canadians from New Brunswich. They live in Lufkin and enjoy the Texas lifestyle very much. Both Joy and I agree that Travis may one day be famous. We had a very enjoyable time at the Jamboree. Where else can you get two hours of entertainment for eight dollars?


Advertisement



Tot: 0.068s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0381s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb