They call it Rodeo


Advertisement
Published: February 5th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Bull riderBull riderBull rider

Professional riders take on the mean bulls
Horses, cows, calves, bulls, clowns, cowboys and cowgirls. . .

We attended the Los Fresnos PRCA 16th Annual Rodeo. We arrived a little early so walked around the carnival grounds and found some food booths. Kathy had a turkey leg and Will picked a briquette sandwich. The wrap the turkey leg in tinfoil and put it over a mesquite wood grill. The meat is so juicy and just melts in your mouth. We watched the hog judging while we ate. The Rodeo started about 3pm with the bull rides. Then came the roping events and the bucking horses. Last was the barrel racing the girls go. We watched world champions like Guy Allen, steer roper, Speed Williams, team roper, Monte Lewis, tie-down roper, Dustin Elliott, bull rider and Kelly Kaminski, barrel racer. The entertainment was Allen Nelson, a bullfighter, Rudy Burns, also a bullfighter, and Don Yates, “Hollywood” sports entertainer. Andy Stewart was the announcer and keeps the show moving along. It was a sell out and the bleachers were packed shoulder to shoulder with spectators. Our seats were in the top row where the breeze blew constantly. We were glad to have our windbreakers and our seat cushions. A few rows below us Joe and Caroline sat enjoying the action.

After the rodeo we walked around the corrals of bulls and calves and watched the cowboys feed hay to the waiting animals. Then we walked around the carnival grounds. The rides were filled with children laughing and screaming. The skill booths were filled with contestants hoping to walk away with a big stuffed toy. We got a funnel cake smothered with powdered sugar and cinnamon. The music was loud; the lights were bright and the feeling was festive.

Back home we watched "Conspiracy Theory" with Mel Gibson and Julia Roberts, and went to bed.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0471s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb