Dundee to Harlingen


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Texas » Harlingen
October 4th 2015
Published: October 4th 2015
Edit Blog Post

We rode back to Magic City BMW to have an oil change for the bike which took a while but needs must. We decided we needed cooler bike gear so stopped off at Cycle Gear Orlando and we each purchased summer weight jackets, tools, Trev got some pants and I got a new snood. That done we headed to our accommodation in Titusville which is close to the Kennedy Space Centre.

We headed off to the Kennedy Space Centre early and in the rain. We were held up for about twenty minutes by a NASA crawler transporter which moves at about 2mph, we couldn't pass it as it had three police escorts so we had to just hope it would let us by which it did.

At the KSC we went to the rocket garden, the Atlantis display and the actual Atlantis shuttle, took a bus tour out to launch pad 39A, went to the Apollo/Saturn V Centre and the Astronaut Memorial. SO much to see, do and learn that you could spend days here.

Traveling around the Gulf of Mexico there were white sandy beaches and still blue water as far as you could see. Hurricane JoaquĆ­n was out there somewhere but there was no sign of it from where we were. Most of the houses along the beach fronts were on poles, there were some gorgeous places. I noticed a sign on a new one just being built which said 'Hurricane Proof Guaranteed'. A fairly lofty claim one would think!

Next day we started our run west toward Texas. State prisoners were working on the roadside along the way. We did a quick jaunt down to the Big Easy which was an amazing roadway; just full of bridges including the Lake Pontchartrain Causeway which is the longest continuous bridge over water in the world at 38.35 kms long; pretty impressive! Checked out a bit of the French Quarter including Bourbon Street. Saw plenty of bayou and beautiful homes.

Our next stop was Orange, Texas before heading straight to Curtis and Janet's home in Harlingen, Texas where we will remain until Tuesday when we cross the border. Not much blogging has been done as I've been very busy swimming and lying by the pool. It's a tough life! Trev has been busy changing tyres and oil on the bikes, he also changed our brakes again as they were getting down. I did manage to kill quite a bit of time sewing new badges on my jacket ?.



Additional photos below
Photos: 31, Displayed: 23


Advertisement









5th October 2015

Amazing!
Wow! This looks so nice, what a holiday! Love all the photos ?

Tot: 0.232s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0983s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb