Day 43 August 17/14 Galveston, Texas 8460 kms


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Texas » Galveston
August 17th 2014
Published: August 18th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


HOT HOT HOT HOT Galveston, TexasHOT HOT HOT HOT Galveston, TexasHOT HOT HOT HOT Galveston, Texas

Can you tell it's hot out??? And humid???
ON THE ROAD AGAIN

We are finally leaving Fulton and looking forward to some new scenery. Helli’s back is still tender and we are moving forward with a great deal of caution. With that in mind we have headed up the gulf coast without making reservations anywhere, because we are just not sure how far Helli’s back will hold out. As we leave the Rockport area we quickly leave the oceanfront again. The roads all run inland with short detours back to the waterfront then you have to come back out to a highway to continue north. Something that is very prevalent here is the presence of huge chemical plants on the ocean. “Pelican Brief”? We stopped often to allow Helli’s back to relax and so far so good. The highway finally turned back to the ocean in a small town of Surfside. It is a community completely built on stilts. Every single building has been built at least 10 feet off the ground. We are guessing we have come to an area that is very prone to hurricanes. Even the hotels are raised. Something that caught my attention when reading a local paper was the minimum tides they have in this area. An average tide is only 4 inches.

We are now on the Bluewater highway heading for Galveston. Being Sunday afternoon there is a lot of traffic heading home to Houston after a weekend at the beach area. The beaches are beautiful white powdery sand and very flat. Kids wander out for 100’s of yards and are only up to their waist in water. The highway runs for 40 miles into Galveston and the entire distance is along the water, with more beautiful and very large homes built on stilts. It has a feeling of being a very affluent area. When we arrived it was easy to find a hotel right on the beach wall. The downside is all the hotels and restaurants are on the townside of the highway. It is a little dangerous crossing back and forth. Once we settled in, it was time to explore the beach. The first thing that strikes us is the amount of seaweed packed on the beach. This extends for miles, and there were mountains of it. There is so much they use plows to pile it up just so the beaches are useable. The city has signs up asking everyone to appreciate the seaweed at this time, so I guess it is only seasonal. We have been in Galveston for a few hours now and still no sign of Glenn Cambell, oh well.

While walking the beach we came a cross what appeared to be a bar that was popular with the motorcycle crowd. We had to stop in. Burgers and beer on the beach front doesn’t get much better. Definitely a party town. Music is blasting everywhere as we walked the beach front. This is another popular area for the spring break crowd. Helli’s back is still a little more than sore so tomorrow will be a short day on the bikes wherever we end up. We’re thinking Houston would be appropriate since we do have a problem. Johnson Space Center is only 50k away. That could work.

P.S. We are having ongoing issues with the blog. So if you have tried sending messages and they are not getting through, try sending them to one of our e-mail addresses and we will post them from our end. bredman1@shaw.ca or helenmccoll@shaw.ca. Also, sometimes the back and previous buttons don’t seem to work, but if you click on the numbered boxes, both for the text and photos, this usually works, even if more than one click is required. I suppose this is what you get for free blog software! Talk at you soon.!


Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Galveston, TexasGalveston, Texas
Galveston, Texas

Ian thought this was a Yellow Cab
Galveston, TexasGalveston, Texas
Galveston, Texas

Cleethorpes perhaps??
Galveston, TexasGalveston, Texas
Galveston, Texas

View from our hotel balcony
Galveston, TexasGalveston, Texas
Galveston, Texas

View from our hotel balcony
Galveston, TexasGalveston, Texas
Galveston, Texas

View from our hotel balcony
Galveston, TexasGalveston, Texas
Galveston, Texas

View from our hotel balcony
Galveston, TexasGalveston, Texas
Galveston, Texas

View from our hotel balcony


19th August 2014
Galveston, Texas

Galveston
That is the life.

Tot: 0.226s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 14; qc: 52; dbt: 0.1001s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb