2012 Road Trip Number 1: Freemont, Goose Island, and Goliad


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Texas » Fulton
January 14th 2012
Published: March 8th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Fulton MansionFulton MansionFulton Mansion

Dream Home 4.3
I made the New Year's Resolution to take more road trips to visit our great state of Texas. Using Corpus Christi as our home base Colby and I headed out to Port Aransas to ride the shortest ferry EVER. I guess its a unique thing to do but I wonder about the long lines and waiting. Luckily there was no line going out of Port Aransas this morning on our way to our first stop.

Goose Island State Park was a pleasant park to visit. It is right on the coast and they have a cool fishing pier that reaches out into the bay. The water level is pretty low and islands formed from oyster shells provide a nice hike. Plenty of people were fishing off the pier hoping to catch that big one. Me? I wouldn't even know what to do with the fish once I caught it.

Located on the island park boundaries is the Big Tree, the oldest tree in Texas. It is a HUGE tree with awesome branches that stretch out forever. I can picture it taking up my backyard as I bask in its shadow while I watch the kitties and puppies play.
Port Aransas FerryPort Aransas FerryPort Aransas Ferry

Shortest ferry...EVER!

We then headed over to Goliad, TX where we toured the historic district there. We briefly stopped by the Fannin Monument to pay our respects to the Texian army men massacred by the Mexican army. Then strolled over in solidarity to the beloved statue of the Angel of Goliad. She saved some men from the massacre and forever holds a place in Texas history now.

Presidio La Bahia is also located in the same plot of land. This is by far my favorite place to stop at on my way to Corpus Christi on weekends to visit Colby. Its always a welcoming site whether in the day, during the rain, or all lit up at night.

Next to the Presidio is General Zaragoza's birthplace and statue. He's the famed Mexican general who defeated the French forces at the Battle of Puebla. He's the reason we celebrate Cinco de Mayo!

Right across the street is Goliad State Park with its bright gleaming white mission. It houses a little informative museum that teaches you a lot about the history of the area. Who knew it used to be so important?

We ended our day roaming around Fannin Plaza in Goliad city center. Its a nice little plaza but the restaurant I had chicken and dumplings at wasn't very good.

Still, it’s a nice way to start my road trip resolution.


Additional photos below
Photos: 25, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Side ViewSide View
Side View

I LOVE this mansion!
The Big TreeThe Big Tree
The Big Tree

Oldest Tree in Texas!
Posing With the TreePosing With the Tree
Posing With the Tree

The tree knows how to recite poetry, in which it asks for money! I dunno, its a good cause right? The tree is HUGE!
Empty FieldEmpty Field
Empty Field

Typical empty field along the Gulf Coast Plains of Texas.
Fannin MonumentFannin Monument
Fannin Monument

Fannin and his 350 men were massacred on this site by the Mexican Amry during the battle for Texas.
Angel of GoliadAngel of Goliad
Angel of Goliad

She pretected some of the prisoners from a harsh fate.
With the AngelWith the Angel
With the Angel

Together we stand tall against oppression and tyranny!
Zaragosa BirthplaceZaragosa Birthplace
Zaragosa Birthplace

He is why we have Cinco de Mayo.
Presidio La BahiaPresidio La Bahia
Presidio La Bahia

Church and Fort
Goliad MissionGoliad Mission
Goliad Mission

At Goliad State Park right up the street from Presidio La Bahia.
CandlesCandles
Candles

I lit one for Grandma Tencha. She was always very Catholic.
Goliad CourthouseGoliad Courthouse
Goliad Courthouse

Very pretty! They don't make them like they used to.
Fannin PlazaFannin Plaza
Fannin Plaza

Town square in Goliad.
Satan!!!!!!!!Satan!!!!!!!!
Satan!!!!!!!!

Statue that greeted us on our way back to Corpus Christi! Awesome!


Tot: 0.136s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 52; dbt: 0.083s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb