West Texas - Balmorhea, State Park


Advertisement
Published: June 8th 2013
Edit Blog Post

West Texas - #2 on the map-Click on map.West Texas - #2 on the map-Click on map.West Texas - #2 on the map-Click on map.

Located just east of the I-10/20 Split


We left the park at 8:00AM and 69 degrees. We had thunderstorms and rain most of the trip but it cleared about an hour from our destination. Speed limit increased to 80mph but I set the cruise on 75mph thinking that was fast enough. Also, fuel mileage really decreases above 70mph. Of course that means everyone else is driving 85-95. No traffic and no cities, just open desert land. We passed a field of blacked faced sheep, huge mesas and buttes, lots of rock, scrub brush and cactus. Windmill farms and pumping oil rigs everywhere. The town where we are located has a population of 489 and we’re staying at Balmorhea State Park, just east of the I-10/20 split. This is the location of the world’s largest spring-fed swimming pool, which covers 1.75 acres and stays at 72-76 degrees year round. Scuba divers love the clarity even at a 25-foot depth. The pools capacity is more than 3.5 million gallons. It is fed by San Solomon Springs and there are 22-28 million gallons of water flow through it each day. It was built by the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) in the early 1930s. The San Solomon Springs have provided water for travelers for thousands of years.




Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement

ID the BirdID the Bird
ID the Bird

Who can ID the bird first????
Storm Coming from Davis Mt.Storm Coming from Davis Mt.
Storm Coming from Davis Mt.

Will visit Ft. Davis Tomorrow


8th June 2013

Wow!
I LOVE that pool! It looks so clean, clear, refreshing!! How come no one is swimming???? Have you Id'd the mystery bird yet? Red headed-breasted sap sucker!
8th June 2013
ID the Bird

Cassin's sparrow, that is what I think the Texas bird is. Let me know if I win the prize!!!!!

Tot: 0.185s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 59; dbt: 0.0761s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb