We're in Texas again


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Texas » Ennis
February 28th 2008
Published: March 9th 2008
Edit Blog Post

We’re on the road again, letting the good times roll. It takes a while to get in the travel routine and to start blogging. We left Michigan Feb 16th. It was later in the month than we originally planned, but the weather looked more promising for our trip out of the cold north. Last year the trip was during an extreme cold snap, so this year was much better by comparison. We had planned shorter driving days, and they were relatively shorter. We took more stretch breaks of longer duration. George’s back handled the new routine without a problem.

We arrived in Ennis, Texas on Feb 20th for a visit with Cindy, Bob and family. We had a great visit and ended up staying longer than anticipated. We shared many great meals, toured the area, bought lottery tickets (none of us won the big jackpot), went to an RV show and just hung out together enjoying each other’s company. We had our annual meal at Bubba’s Barbeque and their beef brisket is still mouth watering delicious. Unfortunately, the week sped by and it was time to move on and see more of this big land of ours.

Next we headed to the Davis Mountains. It took us two days to get there. Texas has a reputation for being windy, and that is no tall Texas tale. Near Odessa we saw the wind being put to great use with hundreds of wind turbines. The crops don’t seem to mind them in the fields, and the big wide spaces of Texas certainly has room for them.

Since our last trip we replaced the mattress in the RV with a Sleep Number mattress. We opted not to go with the one that is designed for RV’s, so we have to accommodate it when we go to higher elevations. That just means taking the sleep number down to a lower number, before any assents. The Davis Mountain area is at a higher elevation, so in the morning we lowered the numbers as we were preparing to head into the mountains. I didn’t think I would see such a dramatic change with the assent, but am now a believer in the need to dial down whenever we “head for the hills.”

I’m writing this blog while we are camped at Big Bend National Park. I’m catching up on these activities in anticipation for having an internet connection at our next campground. This is just a quick intro and then I’m doing separate blogs for each of the areas we’ve visited. Therefore I’m dating this blog earlier in our trip, so the entries will be in order.

Question... When does one become a winter Texan?


Advertisement



9th March 2008

Yea!
You're blogging again !!! We just returned from a 20 day stay in Belleair Beach FL. Met an R Ving couple and informed them of TRAVELBLOG. They're seasoned R Vers and may find the site informative. They've had it with Florida and plan to travel to Texas at this time next year. Photos of the cattle drive were beautiful! What an interesting piece of art. Judy H.

Tot: 0.19s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 19; qc: 67; dbt: 0.0712s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb