New Orleans parts 2 and 3


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Texas » El Paso
January 24th 2010
Published: January 24th 2010
Edit Blog Post

New Orleans Parts 2 and 3

During our 3 nights in the Big Easy and music and food were some of the highlights. Since we were staying in the east end of the Quarter and the nearby Frenchmen Street area in Marigny had been recommended to us (thank you Loy), we concentrated there. Although our visit was Monday-Wednesday, there was still good live music to be found. One night we saw Charlene Neville at Snug Harbor, another night I went to a bar called d.b.a (drink better alcohol) where I saw Walter “Wolfman” Washington a seminal New Orleans guitar player, singer, composer and band leader. He had a great 6-piece band with killer horns, sang original songs and N.O. standards while I drank world class beers. Cover charge-5 bucks. One night we (mistakenly) went to the Bourbon Street area and it was really disappointing-mediocre musicians playing one hackneyed song after another and cheap beer. There were much better musicians just playing out on the streets for change.

I like to try local beers whenever I can and N.O. was no exception. The best one we found was the Abita Andy Gator a smooth rich lager, which is only available on draft or in limited bottle production locally. Food, of course was another highlight. Raw and roasted oysters at the Acme , Gumbo and beans and rice at the Gumbo Shop, brunch at the Two Sisters, and a delicious dinner at Ninja Restaurant and Sushi Bar. Katie had to have a muffaletta sandwich from Central Grocery and I found a vegetarian place (Bamboo) on Espande for a bourbon ch’kin saitan sandwich. We on a bench with a local shopper, Martha and shared an Andy Gator (see picture). All and all, another wonderful visit to my favorite southern city.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.092s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0482s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb