Hola!


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Texas » El Paso
January 16th 2010
Published: January 17th 2010
Edit Blog Post

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
 Video Playlist:

1: 99 secs
We had made it to El Paso. In the morning we happened to trip over this Indian reservation whilst driving around. It's just outside of the city, right near the Mexican border. Just as we arrived they were starting a traditional dance. We stopped and they welcomed us in. It was real sweet! These kids are in a cultural dance group, you can hopefully see their dances soon on our uploaded videos. They had great clothing and jewelry, looked very confidant and told us about their tribes history. They belong to the Tigua Indian tribe and have a very interesting and moved history. At the end of the dances the kids came up to me and asked me to join them. So I ended up, clumsy as I am in my boots, dancing with the Indians 😊 We were the only tourists there, it was a fantastic experience! They were all very nice and they had great hand made stuff in their shops, ten times cheaper than something alike would have cost in Germany! And it was a nice elderly couple in one of the little shops who recommended NOT to go over to Mexico at the moment. That was a bugger! But after we had heard their stories about the shooting, deaths and mafia-like problems at the moment, we chickened out. With any trip we think it's important: listen to the locals! So, Mexico, we'll visit you another time!
After that it was time for brunch. So we went up the McKinsley mountain, well, not really much of a mountain and then had a picnic with a fantastic view. The vegetation here is very strange for us but interesting and beautiful in its own way. The floor is sandy and stoney and the plants are palms and cactus. The floor often has a deep redish colour.
We also saw El Paso down town. But it's really quite an ugly city. Although there are a few nice side streets and everything is taken care of and quite clean. Great for cheap shopping of course, typical border town. We walked about a bit, bought some silly sun glasses and then went to this great Mexican restaurant where we had a bit of everything that's typical, it taste great and only cost us 24$ for two with appetizers, entree and dessert. Yes, it's all about the food, what else 😉 Great place=good food!
Thank you for all the lovely comments by the way! We're reading them, just have no time to answer. So keep them up please, they are great to read! Hugs and kisses!
PS: we had 18°C today, in the sun at miday it was even much much hotter! hahaha 😊


Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement

Mexican borderMexican border
Mexican border

to the left
ClimbingClimbing
Climbing

do u believe it? ;)
Avila's Mexican FoodAvila's Mexican Food
Avila's Mexican Food

surprisingly good despite interior!


Tot: 0.064s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0328s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb