Three and a half months...


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Texas » Dalhart
July 9th 2011
Published: August 14th 2011
Edit Blog Post

So I need to pick up where I left off, some time ago, and update you all on the last month, but first...back to July...Three and a half months away from home and finally my first bout of homesickness. Paul has been away in Phoenix, Arizona for a week and could be gone another two. So I'm left alone in this dusty, dry place, lulled to sleep at nights by the constant sound of the near (and not so near) huge crop irrigators, that have no mufflers! The noise pollution is incredible. But their argument is that there ain't no one out here to hear them! These things are huge and are doing their best to water the corn circles which are scattered around the panhandle and is quite a sight from the air ( or goolge earth if you cant make it over here). However this season is an exceptionally bad one with record highs, heat and dryness, and no measurable rainfall for close to 10 months! It's a dire situation and one on the minds of the farmers constantly. At this point in time, the corn is supposed to be higher than a man, but most circles are only one or two feet high! The corn can be cut early for silage but most have been recently fertilized and would make for not good silage, or as the circles are all insured the insurance companies expect continuing watering till the last minute and then it's too late for silage and not grown enough for corn! Plus everyone is concerned their will be too many insurance claims making the insurance companies unable to payout on all claims! A tough time for farm owners over here.
In perspective my little homesick moments are nothing!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.168s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 13; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0751s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb