For those who have asked about the grave marker at Pipkin Park


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Texas » Beaumont
November 18th 2011
Published: November 19th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Please note the following:

John Baptiste Chaison was born August 7, 1745 in Nova Scotia, but migrated to France when his country was ceded to England. He returned to America when the American Revolution broke out and served with Colonel Benedict Arnold at the Siege of Quebec, General Lafayette at Brandywine. He was wounded at the Battle of Eutaw Springs, but recovered to fight with General Lafayette at Yorktown. In 1832 he migrated to Jefferson County, Texas, where he died on July 20, 1854. He is buried in the Jirou Cemetery located north of Beaumont, Texas. The cemetery was abandoned when the freeway was built, and a church was built over the site of his grave. A DAR grave marker was placed on his grave site in 1944, but the marker was moved to Pipkin Park in 1969 on the west bank of the Neches River near downtown Beaumont when the church was built on the grave site. In 1976 the Texas Historical Society placed a marker in Pipkin Park, but according to Clovis' book there is no SAR marker. This should be an easy site to mark for our Beaumont chapter.


from website
Sons of the American Revolution

Texas Society

Advertisement



Tot: 0.049s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0323s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1008.4kb