Hurricane Ike News as I Heard Timeline


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Texas » Beaumont
September 16th 2008
Published: September 16th 2008
Edit Blog Post

TV Stations and Internet Radio Were My Sources of Information

After the fact, I must say that listening in through my local AM radio station Internet stream, (www.KLVI.com), was more informative and realistic than those broadcasts of information on national television. Television reporters were seemingly sensationalizing the events.

This 'report' will appear dry in 'taste' to some of you.

Friday, September 12, 2008

Depending on news channels and the Weather Channel, www.weatherchannel.com, for information this evening. No Internet signal.

I have already reported to you the fact that most news personnel were situated on the west side of the expected path of Hurricane Ike and how comical and sensational I felt they were presenting the data.

Specific mention of Jefferson county, cities of Port Arthur, Sabine Pass and sometimes Beaumont were made but none of Orange county or communities within those 'borders'.

They mention that it is hot and humid without electricity. You think?

11:40 p.m.: Finally a reporter stationed in Beaumont, the east side of the 'blow'.

Camera shots of the hotel where they were appears to be Walden Road, IH-10 headed east out of Beaumont.

At this point Hurricane Ike is a category 2 but only 1 mile per hour in wind speed under that categorized as a 3. Makes me feel better.

Repeatedly it is stated that St. Elizabeth hospital, or whatever it's new merger name is, is the highest point in Beaumont. Where, exactly, did they get that information? It is not.

12:15 a.m.: Gabriel, Nancy's husband who stayed in Beaumont with work, says the area is beginning to feel the wind associated with the storm and that cable TV was out. Nanc says it's always out.

1:30 a.m.: Internet signal, sporadic anyway, is no longer. Went to sleep in an exhausted, worried state of mind.

Saturday, September 13, 2008

4:25 a.m.: Wide awake. Still worried sick and exhausted.

TV reports that landfall was made in Galveston at 2:30 a.m. TV also reporting that those who did not evacuate (specifically mentioned in Orange county) were now on rooftops awaiting rescue. Like Katrina (said with a sneer)? Hoping OUR residents are not that dramatic, though I personally feel they were completely stupid and or incompetent for having stayed in the first place.

The Weather Channel says Sabine Pass can expect 12 feet of water. Understandable.

Internet signal in and out. When in, I am tuned to KLVI, www.klvi.com, who is excellent to all of us during these circumstances. They are taking calls from all over the area and beyond to keep us informed with first hand local information. Calls included:

5:50 a.m.: Bridge City resident had gone a little north to Mauriceville. 2 foot of water over 1130 (roadway).

Bridge City resident: 0 to 4 feet of water in his house within a 30 minute time span.

Sabine Pass news on TV: water rose 5 feet in 5 minutes at one point.

KLVI: 175,000 without electricity with Entergy in Texas and Louisiana, approximately 4 1/2 million in Houston area with their electric companies.

6:18 a.m.: East, 'dirty', side of storm on top of Jefferson and Orange counties. Various reports that it doesn't appear that tree damage, thus far, is as bad as with Hurricane Rita (2005).

7:00 a.m.: Shift change at KLVI; sun is peaking through clouds here in Dallas area.

8:25 a.m.: Callers (to KLVI) say that north Vidor is devastated. Winds on North Tram Road at approximately 60 mph.

No electricity. Most had lost power just after midnight.

Officials of Orange county: County in 'lock down'; no one allowed within borders; if in - stay in house.


Likely Page Break
West end of Beaumont, municipal airport: lots of trees and fences down; strong winds (Gee, and I had scheduled a skydive today for my birthday).

IH-10 Vidor: power lines down.

Orange county: levee breached; possible 9 feet of water.

Snakes - everyone and everything looking for high ground and all are irritated.

Port Arthur: resident 3 blocks from seawall - no breach, no flood.

8:45 a.m.: Calls from Sugarland, Humble, Hollister: experiencing strong winds; trees down and a lot of debris.

Hardin county and Woodville residents: winds, winds, winds; many roofs gone.

Old Town, Beaumont: trees down, power lines on roads, windows out, debris everywhere.

South Beaumont: flooding in low areas (South Beaumont is all low - my opinion).

1132 and Main Street, Vidor: 3 feet of water in intersection, power lines on road Highway 12.

8:55 a.m.: Bridge City flooded.

Mayor of Groves: City looks okay.

Silsbee resident: Strong winds still, numerous trees down.

9:20 a.m.: Lucas Street at Calder, Beaumont: Novrosky's has heavy damage. (Okay. At this point I'm really crying. No, not for that establishment but because Turner, best friend / ex-husband / Mr. Macho wannabe lives across the street and I haven't had contact with him since I arrived in this evacuation area.)

KLVI says they now have reports that people are indeed on rooftops in Bridge City.

KTRH calling in to KLVI: Baytown hit bad. Some areas in and around Houston now have 10 feet of water. KTRH reporter stationed in Galveston no longer in contact with radio station. 'Back side' of storm hitting areas and is as bad as ever.

Is frustrating to lose Internet signal every ten minutes or so..........

Still a.m. but didn't write time down: 1442 at 408, Orangefield area: 4 to 5 feet of water.

I am amazed and appalled by the people that are stupid enough to actually open their mouths, physically call a radio station, knowing the will be 'live' on airwaves and ask 'When will the winds subside?' (a big word for them), 'When can we go home?', 'When will the water go down?'

Now, where is that crystal ball????????????

9:43 a.m.: Report that the eye of Hurricane Ike is 52 miles north of Houston.

Winnie: Much damage, buildings gone, roofs gone, water up to the elementary school.

Honey Island, Hardin county: lots of damage and debris.

Jasper: reporting minimal damage compared to other locations.

News broadcasts: Sabine Pass water down to 26 feet from 40 plus ! Wonder if I still have a work site to return to.

11:00 a.m.: ABC news reminds me that other disasters and tragedies are occurring in the world this same time period. Humbles me.

11:30 a.m.: Two callers now on KLVI report that 911 calls roll to a voice mail that sounds like someone's personal voice mail !

Broke from news when lost Internet signal yet again. Nanc and I, decked to the nines in our L.L. Bean (www.llbean.com and No, I don't get paid to put these site addresses on my work. I do it in case YOU are interested.) weather gear to entertain ourselves. Actually, we were in search of a WalMart (yeah, probably walmart.com ).

Rain, wind (hello, Hurricane Ike in Dallas) not a good combo on not real familiar roads. Skip WalMart. Stuck our heads in at son's apartment (MY apartment) then scooted on back to our places. Well, we did stop at one dollar store on our way back. Hey, we're bored and need a distraction from worry. A dollar store is cheaper than other places we can go.

Repeatedly attempting to contact Turner and a neighbor of mine. Either 409 area code is jammed full of calls or cell towers are down / out. Probably both. Fancy that during a hurricane.


Likely Page Break
6:00 p.m.: CNN reporter, Anderson Cooper, now in Bridge City. Why do they STAND in waist deep water? The smart ones evacuated and are able to have TV connection. We don't need the sensational visual of that. Just point to the dang water level. The stupid ones (my opinions again) are the ones you need to actually show and tell !

Can you tell that my sympathy is beginning to wane?

Next CNN showed bundles of deflated life boats in the middle of Highway 62. The location appeared to be what we locals call '4 corners' at IH-10. There's truck stops on all corners, gas stations and waffle places. Residences are a piece away. Guess they could have swam to the boats. Think they would have the strength to inflate them?

When aired, the bundles were on a dry portion of the highway.

6:18 p.m.: Now CNN Mr. C. has had a coworker point out a small snake in the water, which they filmed. You can tell that these folks are not from around here. Where's an alligator when you need one (for customer satisfaction viewing, I mean...). They, the gators, are probably around areas of those of us who live there. Even they don't want to hear all that screaming from northerners.

Now I wish I had posted all the 'gator pictures that I have from the Sabine Pass area.

I've already told you that I had heard, finally, from neighbor and Turner. They are fine.

Sunday, September 14, 2008

The rain has left the Dallas area. Nanc and I should have taken out L.L. Bean photo op yesterday when we had the chance.

This day has been given to thanks, family and well being.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.304s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 56; dbt: 0.1012s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb