Awesome Austin


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Texas » Austin
June 7th 2013
Published: April 8th 2014
Edit Blog Post

As a traveller, you know a place is a favourite when you make a return visit and find yourself just as enamoured with said place the second time around. For me, Austin is that kind of place. Not long after visiting, I also quickly realized it’s one of my favourite American cities.

What took me to the capital of Texas this time was, of all reasons, a festival celebrating television — something you’d expect more in LA. Had ATX 2013 been elsewhere, I may or may not have attended, but it gave me a proper excuse for another Austin sojourn.

How can you not love a place where the waffles are shaped like Texas?

In four short days, when I wasn’t attending festival events, me and my better half basked in the welcome June heat, explored South Congress Avenue and several restaurant favs, and did a walking tour that took in the state capitol building, UT campus (go Longhorns!), and the LBJ presidential library.

Beyond that, just sitting on a patio — icy pint of the requisite Austin microbrew in hand, cooling mist in the air — was the perfect way to feel right at home.

With friendly locals, an awesome but unpretentious food scene, and live music around every corner, Austin makes the perfect destination for a three- or four-day getaway. I can’t wait to find yet another opportunity to return …


Additional photos below
Photos: 28, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



Tot: 0.147s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 13; qc: 61; dbt: 0.0612s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb