The Roolf Ranch in Texas


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Texas » Austin
February 24th 2005
Published: February 24th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Ray Roolf and Jim at the ranchRay Roolf and Jim at the ranchRay Roolf and Jim at the ranch

This ranch is in the Texas Hill Country near the town of Pipe Creek. It is remote and beautiful.
The highlight of this past week was a visit to the 100 acre ranch of Ray and Marge Roolf in the Texas Hill Country. Ray is a nephew from Pittsburgh, who works at Kelly Airforce Base as a procurement manager for space shuttle fuels. Marge, originally from Washington,DC., teaches the 5th grade. They bought a ranch several years ago and last summer finished building their dream home on the land. It is very remote and beautiful.
Bear Creek and another stream run through it, forming clean, natural pools along the way. The house is huge,beautifully built, with lot's of built-ins. Being able to walk this natural hill country ranch, and enjoy the wonderful hospitality of Ray and Marge were an important part of our trip to Texas.
We have also been biking in various areas around here, and suddenly the hills became so much easier. My legs are working better without so much effort!
The movie,"Million Dollar Baby" and "Meet the Folkers"
were seen this month. The "Baby" was MUCH better than the other. In fact it was excellent.
Our city ventures have taken us to the McNay Art Museum and Botanical Gardens in San Antonio. In Austin it was the
Jim and Joan along Bear CreekJim and Joan along Bear CreekJim and Joan along Bear Creek

Bear Creek runs through the Roolf Ranch clean and clear. Perfect for swimming, tubing, etc.
Capitol Bldg. and Bob Bullock Museum of Texas History.
One discovery we made, thanks to Ray and Marge, are Z-coil shoes. They have springs in the heels and because of them we should be able to hike in the mountains and National Parks, since they cushion those places that cause us pain. We used them to walk in the city, and they helped us immensely.
In the process of discovering Texas, and living in our country cabin, we have come to feel like Texas is home.
In spite of this, we are now looking forward to our move on Monday to Arizona. It will take us 2 or 3 days, since we plan some stops along the way. But the next time you hear from us it will be from among the dessert wildflowers in Arizona.




Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Ray Roolf with his cattleRay Roolf with his cattle
Ray Roolf with his cattle

Ray has a small herd of cattle, many long horns.
One of several pools One of several pools
One of several pools

This water runs through several pools, this one with overhanging rock ledges.
Ray and Marge's new homeRay and Marge's new home
Ray and Marge's new home

Their home was just completed July,2004. Now they are furnishing the interior.
In the Great RoomIn the Great Room
In the Great Room

They use natural materials, carefully harvested, for some of the furnishings. (Here cedar chairs.)
Ray and Marge RoolfRay and Marge Roolf
Ray and Marge Roolf

They love Texas.


24th February 2005

Arizona
Hi Jim and Joan, I received a phone call yesterday from one of my sisters who lives in Rio Verde (north of Phoenix). She said they have had a lot of rain there. As a result the desert is spectacular -- full of flowers. So you should really enjoy Arizona. Send back some photos. - Bruce Sundquist

Tot: 0.202s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 7; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0641s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb