Austin and F1


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Texas » Austin
October 23rd 2015
Published: November 10th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 30.2676, -97.743

We got up on Wednesday morning and headed to downtown Austin. We went to the Bullock Texas State History Museum. It is a huge museum. We spent about 3 hours there. It has all of the history about the area before and after Texas became a state. After that, we went over to the state capitol. They have a great state capitol, larger than ours.
On Thursday morning, we packed up everything and headed over to our hotel that came with our race package. We couldn't stay there on Tuesday and Wednesday because they were booked for those days. It is a really fancy hotel.
At 4:00PM, we boarded a bus for the track. We had special tickets to visit the Legends Club at the track. First of all we were allowed to go up into the tower at the track for a birdseye view of the track and facilities. It was windy, but very cool. After that, it was on to the Legends Club for free food and drinks. We got to listen to Mika Hakkenin, a former F1 driver and even asked him a couple of questions and got a photo with him. Then a band played for a couple of hours. We finally got on the bus for a ride back to the hotel.
Thursday morning, we were supposed to board the bus at 8:15AM for the track to watch practice, but when we woke up it was raining and we decided to go back to bed and skip it. Practice is usually pretty boring. We talked to some people who went to the track and they said it was pouring for several hours! Instead we did a load of laundry, found a theatre and went and saw "The Martian". It is a really good movie.
Tomorrow, we go to the track for final practice and qualifying, rain or shine. The weather report is a 100% chance of rain with local flooding. We will have to see how that works out. We have waterproof jackets and pants and lots of plastic bags. I even waterproofed our hiking boots with silicone spray. On Sunday its only a 50% chance of rain until noon and then clearing. The race starts at 2:00PM.


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

Stacy at the top of the tower.Stacy at the top of the tower.
Stacy at the top of the tower.

Notice the 2 glasses of Champagne.


Tot: 0.225s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0495s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb