The Rest of the Story


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Tennessee
September 13th 2010
Published: September 14th 2010
Edit Blog Post

As we write blogs and give presentations about Tanzania, it is sometimes difficult to know what should or shouldn't be included. Some missionaries feel that only positive reports should be given, leaving out the hardships and dangers that are faced from time to time. There are hardships that we just learn to live with and hesitate to mention, due to the fact that we don't want to give the impression we are complaining. However, there are times when it is appropriate to give you a peek into life in the country in which we usually reside. This is not intended to be a complaint, nor is it intended to scare you, but we do feel it is right to let you know some of the realities of life in Tanzania.

Occasionally we receive notices from U.S. Embassy representatives which include warnings about dangers of which we need to be aware. Here is some information that we received today.

Apparently some gangs have come up with more inventive ways to exact violence on unsuspecting victims. There have been reports of gangs and thieves leaving a car seat on the side of the road, with a fake baby in it, covered with a blanket. When a concerned passerby, typically a woman, stops to investigate the abandoned baby, the person is dragged into the woods or grass, beaten, raped, and usually left for dead. If it's a man, they are usually robbed, beaten, and left for dead, too.

Another warning is concerning eggs being thrown at one's windshield at night. The natural reaction is for a person to try to squirt water and use their windshield wipers to clean the windshield. When the egg mixes with water, the eggs become milky and greatly decreases visibility, forcing the driver off the road to clean the windshield, becoming a victim of the criminals.

This underscores the fact that we must use extreme caution and living in such a place is certainly not without risks. It's just another reminder to remember missionaries, not just the Jensens, but all missionaries in your prayers.

Advertisement



14th September 2010

The rest of the story
Those warnings aren't just seen in Tanzinia. I've received emails here in the states warning of these same kinds of acts of violence done on travelers and unsuspecting people. So it isn't just local to where you live it seems to be worldwide. So everyone needs to be watchful no matter where they are, for this kind of trickery.
14th September 2010

Danger Notification
Dear Jensens, Please continue to notify us of the dangers and hardships you face. Believe me it will never be taken as complaints. We are aware that you are experiencing many, many hardships and dangers. Do feel free to post them in your Blogs. God Bless you and your work, in His Name. "Rush Springs", Bonnie

Tot: 0.27s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 11; qc: 66; dbt: 0.2098s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb