Tennessee - February 2010


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Tennessee
March 18th 2010
Published: March 19th 2010
Edit Blog Post

We left Charleston in time to avoid a snowstorm as we drove into Tennessee and the Appalachian mountains. We stopped first at Asheville, which is a small town in the mountains known for its eccentric vibe, New Age residents and (hurray) lots of vegetarian food (that's a first for the Southern US!)

Nashville

We then made our way to Nashville, the home of country music and the Grand Ole Opry. We hung out at a few honky tonk bars and watched great fiddling and guitar playing. There are lots of big recording studios in a part of town called Music Row, where budding musicians hope to make it big.

Memphis

In Memphis, we caught some great music on Beale Street and learnt about the birth of the Blues. The Blues originated from black slaves' field hollers and spirituals which sustained them and lifted their spirits through the long hours of back breaking labour and the dire conditions of slavery.

We visited Graceland, the home of Elvis Presley, which was not what we expected at all. It's not an ostentatious house and it has been meticulously preserved as it was when he passed away. Both Rinette and I could swear we felt the presence of the King. Elvis's unique blend of gospel, rhythm & blues and country and personal style challenged the norms and thrilled millions of fans worldwide. What an amazing talent he had. The King Lives On!

Another hugely moving experience was visiting the Civil Rights Museum. Learning about all those truly brave souls who stood up and fought for their right to sit on a bus, the right to be served in a restaurant, the right to go to a good (white) school was awe inspiring.

We also visited the assassination site of Martin Luther King, the 1960's civil rights leader. He was shot on a balcony of the Lorraine Motel, Memphis on April 4, 1968 at the age of just 39. After receiving so many death threats, he felt his end was near. We watched his last speech ("I've Been to the Mountaintop") given the day before his death and I couldn't hold back the tears. Martin Luther King was one of the greatest orators the world has ever seen. He was a pacifist who brought great change to the country and had the power to move a generation.




Additional photos below
Photos: 31, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

GracelandGraceland
Graceland

Living room. Gorgeous piano.
GracelandGraceland
Graceland

Dining Room.
The KitchenThe Kitchen
The Kitchen

Where all those fried peanut butter and banana sandwiches were made!
The Jungle RoomThe Jungle Room
The Jungle Room

Check out the carpet on the ceiling.
Back YardBack Yard
Back Yard

There's quite a bit of land surrounding the house, where Elvis would have kept some horses.
Article on ElvisArticle on Elvis
Article on Elvis

Elvis - from Beale Street to Broadway.
One of the PlanesOne of the Planes
One of the Planes

The Lisa Marie.
Bed (On the Plane)Bed (On the Plane)
Bed (On the Plane)

You can't beat first class.


Tot: 0.214s; Tpl: 0.024s; cc: 12; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0556s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb