Bristol, Tennessee - United States of America


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Tennessee
September 12th 2007
Published: October 15th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Bristo, Tennessee - USA


BristolBristolBristol

Bristol, Tennessee - United States of America

Sep 12, 2007









City official name :Bristol
Founded date :
Location :Tennessee State
Elavation :? ft (? m)
Area :Approximately ? square miles (? km²).
Facts :Bristol is a city in Sullivan County, Tennessee, United States. As of the 2000 census, the city had a total population of 24,821. It is the twin city of Bristol, Virginia, just across the state line, which runs down the middle of State Street. Along with Kingsport, Tennessee and Johnson City, Tennessee the Bristols form the Tri-Cities. Bristol is probably best known for being the site of some of the first commercial recordings of country music, showcasing Jimmie Rodgers and the Carter Family, and later a favorite venue of the legendary mountain musician Uncle Charlie Osborne. Congress recognized Bristol as the Birthplace of Country Music in 1998. Bristol is the birthplace of Tennessee Ernie Ford. Bristol is the site of a NASCAR short track which routinely sells out more than 160,000 seats twice annually. Tickets to Bristol Motor Speedway and DukesFest, a two day festival showcasing the 1980s television show "Dukes of Hazzard" are highly sought-after. The city is also the home of King College.

Bristol is
BristolBristolBristol

Bristol, Tennessee - United States of America
considered to be the "Birthplace of Country Music" according to a resolution passed by the U.S. Congress in 1998 for its contributions to early country music recordings and influence.

In 1927 record producer Ralph Peer of Victor Records began recording local musicians in Bristol to attempt to capture the local sound of traditional 'folk' music of the region. One of these local sounds was created by The Carter family. The Carter Family got their start on July 31, 1927, when A.P. Carter and his family journeyed from Maces Springs, Virginia, to Bristol to audition for Ralph Peer who was seeking new talent for the relatively embryonic recording industry. They received $50 for each song they recorded. That same visit by Peer to Bristol also resulted in the first recordings by Jimmie Rodgers.

Since 1994 the Birthplace of Country Music Alliance has promoted the city as a destination to learn about the history of Elvis and its role in the creation of an entire music genre. Currently, the Alliance is organizing the building of a new Cultural Heritage Center to help educate the public about the history of country music in the region.




Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

BristolBristol
Bristol

Bristol, Tennessee - United States of America
BristolBristol
Bristol

Bristol, Tennessee - United States of America
BristolBristol
Bristol

Bristol, Tennessee - United States of America


Tot: 0.146s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 14; qc: 27; dbt: 0.1118s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb