Well I found out what to do if you come across a bear !


Advertisement
Published: April 2nd 2010
Edit Blog Post

I found out what to do if you come across a bear. Don't run, don't climb a tree, just stand still. yeah right as the sh.. runs down your leg. Fortunately I spoke to a forest ranger and he said that as the bears were only just coming out of hibernation you don't have a lot to worry about as 'they are just like an old dawg'' I assume he means something like an old black labrador or similar. anyhow I have yet to see a bear but I am still looking.

Pigeon Forge is a nice little town with a main street that runs for about 3 miles (5klms) with every second shop being either a race car track, a magic shop, or a fun parlor. The whole street is devoted to entertainment. It is a bit like a side show alley for 5 klms.

It is hard to believe how many people actually come here. The Smokey Mountains are one of the most visited National Parks in America.

Next to Pigeon Forge is Gatlinburg TN, this is the gateway to the Ski fields and Smokey Mountains. This place is as busy as central station at rush hour. There are tens of thousands of people, it is unbelievable.

I drove across the Smokys to Cherokee (Indian Reservation) about two hours, The weather was cold and wet and there was snow on the top of the mountain. I only took some water with me and was getting hungry by about 2pm so I thought I would continue the half hour to Cherokee Reservation and then head back to Gatlingburg for someting to eat.

As it turns out, the Cherokee Indian Reservation is more 'Las Vegas without the Casinos'than what I thought a reservation would be. As soon as you cross into the reservation there are shops and eateries and all sorts of tourist places trying to seperate you and you money.

Spent the next day at Dollywood, mountains of fun! This place was great, heaps of thrill rides, but I passed, one of the largest wodden roller coasters in the world and heaps of other stuff. There was some great museums on Dolly Parton and it was really worth the visit. Again I could not believe how many people were there.

Left Pigeon Forge and headed to Knoxville for a couple of nights. This is where I see Reba and George Strait Concert. Should be good.

Tomorrow I will head for Renfro Valley in Kentucky to see the horses and bluegrass then I will head back to West Virginia and into the mountains again. (Still looking to see a bear)

anyhow thats it for now. I will try to upload some photos.

y'all have a nice Easter. Bruce

Advertisement



Tot: 0.092s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0447s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb