Grand Ole Opry


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Tennessee » Nashville
September 16th 2012
Published: September 16th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Last night was definately one of the highlights of this summers adventures for Sally and I. You can't visit Nasville Tennessee with seeing the Grand Ole Opry whether you are a country music fan or not. Like the banner on the front of the building says, this is 'The Show that made Country Music Famous'. The Opry House just reopened this year after being flooded in the summer of 2010 by over 14 inches of rain in the Nashville area. The cumberland river which runs right behind the Opry House overflowed it's bank which resulted in serious flooding of the Opry House. The Roy Acuff theater was located to the right of the Opry House and it was damaged so severely that it was a complete loss and had to be demolished. The Grand Ole Opry is the longest running live radio show in history. It started in 1925 and is still a live broadcast today. The Ryman Theater was the original Grand Ole Opry. When the new Opry House was built, a six foot circle made of the original circle of the Ryman Stage, was constructed and built into the floor of the Grand Ole Opry House. Shows take place at the Oprey House Tuesday, Friday and Saturday evenings from February thru November. During December and January it is used for the Country Christmas show. Entertainers at last nights show include 91 year old entertainer Little Jimmy Dickens, Wispering Bill Anderson, Jeanie Seely, The Isaacs, Heidi Newfield, and Sara Evans to name a few. This will most likely be the last blog of the summer as Sally and I expect to be home soon. Looking forward to seeing all of you soon!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



Tot: 0.083s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 47; dbt: 0.059s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb