Backwoods, Bluegrass, Bourbon and Misadventure


Advertisement
North America » United States » Tennessee » Nashville
December 27th 2008
Published: December 28th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Hello there. It is before 10 am in Nashville, TN. I probably won’t publish this until later because the Internet signal is really shoddy here. So yesterday was a full day. I woke up in Charleston, WV and spent my morning downtown. The weather wasn’t agreeing (mid thirties and rainy, Brandon). The town was slow to wake up so I wasted away the first hour hanging out in the library before ... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 108, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Jolly Pirate DonutsJolly Pirate Donuts
Jolly Pirate Donuts

This was awesome! Found it by mistake on my way to Marshall. Ordered a donut at the counter and the woman said "$6.50". I looked at her funny and she said (in the best Southern accent ever) "Ohh I ams a sahry... I rung use up fahr a duhzen." In the end, 86 cents well spent on a glazed stick.
Marhsall football stadiumMarhsall football stadium
Marhsall football stadium

Nothing going on in this town except at the stadium. It is most definitely the town's center. I passed a closed gas station in "downtown" Huntington with a broke-down tractor in the lot. A tractor in downtown Huntington... that should sum it up.
We Are Marshall! We Are Marshall!
We Are Marshall!

For those of you not aware, in 1970, a plane carrying 75 players, coaches and fans to a game in East Carolina University crashed near the landing strip and everyone died. The next yr, the team was fielded using whatever players had not made that trip and a ton of freshman. This plaque honors them.
Thundering Herd End zoneThundering Herd End zone
Thundering Herd End zone

This is where Byron Leftwich orchestrated one of the best college football comebacks ever. Down 17 in November of 2000, Leftwich brought the Herd back and completed the final drive of the game with a broken shin!! A lasting image is Byron's linemen carring him down the field and setting him up to execute the next play. It was legend.... wait for it... DARY!



28th December 2008

Nashville
I think a little tear fell when I saw the pics of Nashville. I love and miss Nashville! It is such a great city. Oh that other little bar spot you have a picture of is Tootsies. It is one of the oldest and most famous bars in Nashville. I'm chuckle when I read your blog about Eli. That is the other great thing about Nashville...everyone has a story.
28th December 2008

nice pictures you talk about me with the self pictures i cant count three in there so far haha keep livin the dream
28th December 2008

History
Hey man, keep the history lessons coming. I feel like I am watching an episode of Globe Trekker (love that show) or something. Definitely miss you back home, but so happy that you are doing this. Hope you are getting inspired by everything you see and do. Shaun P.S. I think the peaks and valleys are necessary. They give us all a different perspective on our life...helping us to hopefully make wiser decision.
28th December 2008

My take aways from this post:
1. Charleston is a poor man's Woodbridge. 2. You need a GPS device. Seriously. 3. We need Jolly Pirate Donuts up north. Do they franchise? 4. You may be a Scientologist now. Tom Cruise may show up in the back of you car. Give him all the cash in your pockets. 5. The Predators have fans? Like, more than 1? 6. Keep the posts coming, this is shaping up to be quite a fun trip. Godspeed Matt Paz!
28th December 2008

Feel like im following a historians blog. pretty awesome. and the last paragraph was deep i loved it. keep on drivin' boy
28th December 2008

Moondoggie episode #4
I am hooked on your travel blogs. I feel like I am watching episodes of 24 and I can't wait till the next episode to see the recent adventures of Moondoggie. Don't worry........human contact is coming and will reach you in New Orleans. Don't fall into those valleys in the meantime, but try to stay on top of the peaks. Miss you lots. xxoo MOM
28th December 2008

I want to travel....
So I was feeling a little down and ok a little jealous..traveling is a beautiful thing!! so I got in my car and thought if Matt can do it, so can I !!! and off I went. Awe here I am the mystical and gentle ocean breeze!! I made it!!! yes!! busted (Sea Girt) loved it. Wow sounds great, all of it so far. Paying the bum to befriend you, humm. It's all good. ENJOY !!!!

Tot: 0.095s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 11; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0472s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb