Bluesin' away in Memphis


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Tennessee » Memphis
March 20th 2014
Published: March 21st 2014
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


In Memphis, I've been staying at a lovely Hostel named after Pilgrims. The people are so friendly and there have been at least two large groups of university students on alternative spring breaks. The company has been wonderful as young people are so giving, encouraging, and easy to laugh with.

On my first night, I went out to the "well-known" Beale Street, where bars and blues line the streets. People smoke in joints and listen to soulful music.

My pictures are from yesterday, which started off with a drive over to the Stax museum. Here is where many blues artists got their start. From the Bar-Kays, to Otis Redding, and even that one guy who played shaft and had a pimp-daddy cadillac all started here.

The recording studio aspect was pretty cool. They should the mixing boards, which were so retro - literally a tape deck. I imagine artists cutting the tape and placing it back together again..

The sound room had an awesome picture. It was of musicians gather around a piano recording something. Different races and sexes all collaborating. A beautiful thing about this place and time was the togetherness of whites and blacks for the sake of music. During a critically desegregating time, music was an effective outlet for seeing through differences. The picture is in black and white 😉

After the museum, I found a park. It was a nice chunk of nature in the city, near the rich homes and zoo. In the park was a bird who let me take a picture of it.

Last night wrapped up with an open mic. There were guitar players mostly, singing songs they had written. A rockin' kid jammed out on the guitar and another lady sang adorable love songs and looked at her hubby during the romantic lines. I read a poem about loving in peace and it was overall a great time!


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.068s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0468s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb