C2C Day 1: KGAI to KM04


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Tennessee » Memphis
May 5th 2008
Published: May 5th 2008
Edit Blog Post

'Twas an hour before the scheduled C2C kick off, when all through the Airpark all the C2C crew was scurrying about looking for Bob's office keys. The CFC credit card was in the office.

Finally, when Bob found the keys in one of his numerous bags and had the card in hand, Dick and Ruth took off in the Cardinal at 10:38 with Dan, Geoff and Bill Hughes behind them in the Cherokee. Bob and the 9BA Crew (Janice and Donna) straggled behind in the 9BA - AGAIN, Bob could not find the keys. Our rummaging in the bags halted abruptly when we heard Bob reprimand himself: "DUMB SHIT! IT'S IN THE IGNITION!"

We all cruised at about 6500 heading for our first scheduled stop at Mount Sterling, TN. Bob and the 9BA Crew wisely refueled at Gallia Meigs Regional (GAS) and caught up with the others an hour later. It may have been less than an hour if 1) Bob wasn't so distracted with finding the GAS receipt; and 2) BOB didn't have his heavy foot on the rudder the whole time! After working hard for 20 minutes to keep the plane on course, Donna couldn't help but ask, "Do you have your foot on the rudder?" Finally with the lead foot off, 9BA maintained course and met up with the gang at Mt. Sterling. Scott and Bills Davis also caught up after leaving out of Frederick 12:30 local. A quick refuel and flight planning, and we took off: Cardinal, Cherokee, Skylane, and 9BA holding up the rear.

While cutting corners, as if they weren't going fast enough, the Cherokee got routed to 10500 ft to avoid Campbell AFB. Bob tried to exercise some power by telling them that they can't get far without the credit card, which he had. But by this time, none of the gang was even within range of 9BA. Left in the dust.

Coincidentally, Ruth says 9BA came into Covington, TN (KM04) soon after a crop duster. Everyone else arrived an hour and a half earlier. Cherokee, Cardinal and Skylane arrived early enough to refuel. Ruth had already secured us a motel and a shuttle service. Dick and Geoff kindly waited for 9BA to come in.

After check-in, we all headed out to La Huazteca for dinner because the motel owner assured us they would have beer (as opposed to the Chinese restaurant). The couple who owns the motel also lent us their cars! Outside the DC area, we must present ourselves pretty well😊

Everyone's was in the lobby of Americas Best Value Inn doing flight plans for tomorrow, but they've disappeared one by one. Bob's the last one standing (barely) and he'll be the last one up. EXCEPT, he's rooming with Dick who's been assigned to dawn patrol😊

Advertisement



5th May 2008

Great job!
I’m sure there's more than one envious person back here in DC.

Tot: 0.067s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 13; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0353s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb