Memphis Music Museums


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Tennessee » Memphis
July 21st 2020
Published: July 21st 2020
Edit Blog Post

Route sign in MemphisRoute sign in MemphisRoute sign in Memphis

The Blues Trail.....

Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and life to everything.” – Plato


Our latest adventure takes us to a very special place if you're a fan of certain genres of music. We were safely "isolating" on the beach in Florida when the call came in ... would Dave like to work at a pediatric hospital ..... in Memphis? This was too much to pass up, both professionally and because of the special types of music in this city.

Memphis is a very special place and is aptly titled the “Home of the Blues” is located in the southwest corner of Tennessee and sits on the mighty Mississippi River. Deep in the heartland of America, rich in history, Memphis is a stone’s throw to both the Arkansas and Mississippi borders. Memphis is so much more than just the blues.

Memphis has music in its soul, in its soul, in its soul. Memphis is not only home to da Blues, but Rock N’ Roll, jazz, R&B, gospel, and soul. As music fans we are excited to live in Memphis, even if it is for a short time to walk the streets where the musical roots took hold. In a later blog we will introduce you to Beale Street but for now we share museums of importance. We do this mainly because of the pandemic, which has all but closed down Beale Street and all the music venues. Sad, but it also allows us to take our time and learn so much more about how this music took its shape and helped to shape the world of music as we know it.


“The Blues tells a story. Every line of the music has a meaning.” -John Lee Hooker


Sun Studio

This is the place where Elvis got his start. An iconic museum by day and recording studio by night —what a fantastic idea! Yes, it still actively used as a recording studio. The guides share a wealth of musical history that keeps you smiling and your foot tapping as they play song after song as they share details of a multitude of happenings through the years.

Sam Phillips was the founder of Sun Records and he recorded the likes of Johnny Cash, Carl Perkins, Elvis Presley, Jerry Lee Lewis, Roy Orbison, Charley Feathers, Ray Harris, Warren Smith, B.B. King, Ike Turner, James Cotton, The Prisionaires, and many more. Many other stars have recorded there in recent years including Ringo Starr and Bono. In his own way, he was a music visionary, but more so,
Issac HayesIssac HayesIssac Hayes

Hot Buttered Soul
he saw that music could see its way through racial barriers. He was a strong advocate for racial equality and it showed in the way he produced the artists.

Sun records is a small studio on hallowed ground. The walls are lined with photos of artist and famous guitars and amps ring the studio. X’s marked the floor where various famous artists stood while they made recording history. One can sense the music vibrations as you stand where artist laughed, played and rocked their way into history. You can actually hold the microphone that was used by so many artists over 60 years ago….including Elvis. This place is a must see for all serious music fans.


“The Blues are the roots and the other music are the fruits. It’s better keeping the roots alive, because it means better fruits from now on. The Blues are the roots of American music. As long as American music survives so will the Blues.” -Willie Dixon


Memphis Rock N’ Soul Museum

This museum is the only Smithsonian museum not located in our nation’s capital, but the fact that it is a Smithsonian says it all. The exhibits take you through the history of music in this corner of the world, from the humble beginnings in the cotton fields and churches and the influence of country music and the sounds from Appalachia. The museum’s exhibits are extremely well-done and the self-guided tour allows you the time
Sun RecordsSun RecordsSun Records

So many, including Elvis recorded here.
to soak in all this rich history. We were incredibly impressed with the wide swath of history this building contains.

Memphis Music Hall of Fame

We recommend you save your time and money as this one was not worth it. It seems as if they ran out of ideas and memorabilia when they were pulling this museum together. For us, the most interesting thing we learned was how Roy Orbison’s image with his sunglasses got started. In 1963, Roy was touring with the Beatles, he left his regular glasses on the plane and decided to wear his sunglasses while performing…. history was made and he continued to wear the sunglasses. It also helped Roy out, as he was basically a very shy man.

The signage for the few displays is in odd locations close to the ground. It made for difficult reading if you are wearing bi-focals. LOL. Aging rockers should be considered in placement of these signs.

Stax Museum of American Soul

Our enthusiasm for this museum equals that of the Rock N’ Soul. Stax was ground zero for a musical sound like no other. The amazing assortment of recording artists from Memphis and
Robert JohnsonRobert JohnsonRobert Johnson

Supposedly sold his soul to the devil at the Crossroads.
the surrounding areas is a veritable list of some of the all-time R&B greats. If you hear the tune “Green Onions” in your head, this is where it all started. The house band was Booker T & The MGs. They were on a vast majority of the hits we know, from artists including Otis Redding, Sam and Dave, Ike and Tina Turner, Wilson Pickett and Albert King among others. Steve Cropper, Donald “Duck” Dunn, Al Jackson made up the band and they could really bring the sound. In addition was the great song writing talent around, including the great Isaac Hayes. Most people remember him from the musical soundtrack “Shaft,” but he was also a prodigious song writer as well. This museum houses his gold-plated 1972 Cadillac, which is one “bad ass” ride.

Graceland

No tour of the Memphis area music museums would be complete without a visit to this place. As we approached the famous home of the pelvis-thrusting Elvis Presley, we wondered what we would find? Elvis was known to be a bit flamboyant , passionate, – larger than life…. and Elvis had lots of money so….what would our impressions be when we walked away?
B.B. KingB.B. KingB.B. King

Some say The King of Blues.

While Elvis was alive and living in Graceland people would drive by trying to get a glimpse. It is a stately old home built in the 1930’s with a long driveway that prevents you from getting a good look from the street. As we approached we saw tall white pillars that make a statement of elegance and the grounds are peaceful. Elvis made some additions to the home over the years and now it has 23 rooms, 17,000 square feet located on 13 acres but seemed smaller to us.

As it turns out visiting during Covid restrictions turned out to be a blessing. Graceland had only been reopened for a short period of time and social distancing allowed us to enter as a group of 9. Everyone was allowed to enter individually with their group so within our group of 9 were a family of 4, a group of 3 and us. Our docent did not rush us through the house. We had plenty of time for photos and questions. Visitors are not allowed in the upstairs to see the bedrooms and maybe that is why the house didn’t feel like 17,000 square feet as we didn’t see a
Halls of AlbumsHalls of AlbumsHalls of Albums

Stax Museum
large portion of the house.

Remember Elvis has been dead 43 years (he passed at the age of 42) and so time stood still in this house. It has been preserved as he left it. The decorations and colors were very 1970’s, shag carpet abounds and yet many rooms had a homey, welcoming and a lived-in feel. One could certainly tell this was his home and provided him comfort. We were told that he entertained all the time and it wasn’t unusual to have several visitors a day and night but they were not allowed in the upstairs of the house. Upstairs was his sanctuary from the world. Some rooms were smaller than expected but remember the house was built in the 1930s. No telling what kind of remodeling would have taken place if Elvis had lived another 30 or 40 years. Elvis had at least one television in every room. It was most definitely a house for entertaining.

There were several buildings on the property for an office, stables, a pool and more. They told us stories about the family riding horses and driving an army golf carts. I guess it wasn’t unusual for friends and family to take off down the road in front of the house on golf carts. We would have enjoyed seeing that.

After touring the home, they shuttle you back to the museum where you can wander through room after room of Elvis memorabilia, his cars, boats, golf carts and finally his two airplanes. The “King” had a lot of money and knew how to spend it.


Jimmy Buffet once said, “Elvis was the only man from Northeast Mississippi who could shake his hips and still be loved by cops, rednecks and hippies.” Jimmy was most certainly correct.


All these museums have brought us both knowledge and joy. They have shown us the richness of Memphis-style music and how even more than fifty-five years ago, music could bridge the racial gap, even in the south. We hope that soon the music venues will re-open, so we can drink in the music that make Memphis so special…….


Additional photos below
Photos: 38, Displayed: 28


Advertisement

Sun StudiosSun Studios
Sun Studios

Endless guitars
The million dollar quartetThe million dollar quartet
The million dollar quartet

Johnny Cash, Carl Perkins, Jerry Lee Lewis and Elvis
Wall full of records and awardsWall full of records and awards
Wall full of records and awards

Front office of Sun Studio
Green Onions Album CoverGreen Onions Album Cover
Green Onions Album Cover

Booker T. and the MG's.
Sam PhillipsSam Phillips
Sam Phillips

He was Sun Records
The Man in BlackThe Man in Black
The Man in Black

Johnny Cash


21st July 2020

Memphis music museums
Enjoyed the tour with you, especially the cars! Still in quarantine here in Edmonds. Be safe.?. MM
21st July 2020

Memphis Music Museums
Great hearing from you Marsha and thanks for commenting. Glad you are safe in Edmonds. Let's talk soon. Memphis is a nice town.
21st July 2020

Have a nice time exploring!
Hope you enjoy your new home for a while. Seems there is lots to discover. xo
21st July 2020

A nice time exploring!
Thank you for following along. We still appreciate you introducing us to Travel blog. When the world ask you to sit still for awhile you must look around your neighborhood to scratch that itch to explore. Memphis has things to offer. I loved your FB post of walks in Paris!
21st July 2020

One day...
One day I'll visit these places. I'm really into soul music, I'd love to go to the Stax and Motown places. I'm off to Prague next week! First post covid trip.
21st July 2020

One day....
John, you will enjoy it when you get here. Hopefully, Beale Street will be open in all its glory when you arrive. So jealous you are going to Prague. No one wants Americans to visit right now so we continue with domestic explorations. Happy travels.
21st July 2020

Low Society
I did a motorcycle trip to Memphis a few years back and loved it. Had a blast on Beale Street for 3 nights. If you get a chance check out the band Low Society. Outstanding guitar and female blues singer. They perform all their own songs. They are usually playing somewhere on Beale St.
21st July 2020

Low Society
Bob, I think I may have read blogs about that motorcycle trip. We are eager for Beale Street to open up again. We will see if we can find Low Society while we are here.
22nd July 2020

Music history
My Dad would have loved this music adventure, it's very much the music he loved when I was growing up. You are certainly lucky to have such an interesting area to explore so close to your new neighbourhood. I was just reading about the death of Elvis Presley’s grandson Benjamin Keough - such a sad end :(
22nd July 2020

Music History
The roots of music come from the southern U.S. and Memphis is the heartbeat of all that happened. We came to this area with a lot of music knowledge. These museums are well done and have given us a deeper understanding. Hopefully, you will include this on your list when you make it to the U.S.
22nd July 2020
Really like this one!

Ooops untrainable
Filled in title as if it was comment. Still learning!
22nd July 2020
Really like this one!

Goops untrainable
So good hearing from you Angeline. Hope you are doing well. We should talk. I know you are trainable! LOL.
22nd July 2020

Memphis -- A Different Place
Very interesting to read about your move to Memphis and the museums you've visited. We lived and worked in Memphis for a year in the mid-1970's and left shortly before Elvis died. While living there we did have our photos taken in front of Graceland. But of course none of the museums you have visited existed at that time and the culture was much different. Memphis was a big city, but it felt like a small town.
22nd July 2020

Memphis -- A Different Place
Memphis does feel like a small town to me so maybe it hasn't changed much since the 1970's. I'm enjoying being here to explore for a few months but love our home in Florida.
25th July 2020

A tale of a passion
Really...I mean, really if I could absorb same the passion for blue that you two have in your heart! Sometimes, I feel it when I listen to someone or read an article or blog like yours. You were in the heart of the Blues, and I am so happy that you thoroughly enjoyed it! You and Dancing Dave, I tell you, you are birds of the same feather. I wish you many many years of enjoying the Blues. Enjoyed reading!
25th July 2020

A tale of passion
Tab, thanks for following along on our travels and we always look forward to your comments. We are birds of the same feather with the Hoopers, indeed. Blues touches the soul and we are in Blues country. Hope you'll listen to some music today that will keep your toe tapping.
29th July 2020
Blues Awards poster

Blues Awards Poster
Love it
29th July 2020
Blues Awards poster

Blues Awards Poster
Each year the blues award poster is different and many are very unique.The blues deserves its recognition.
29th July 2020
Halls of Albums

Stax Hall of Albums
That's something I'd love to become absorbed in
29th July 2020
Halls of Albums

Stax Hall of Albums
An amazing collection. Nice walking down memory lane.
29th July 2020

Memphis Music Museums
We only had 3 days & nights in Memphis so Beale Street and sweet Blues had to consume our limited time. It's Blues Museums were known but we had to leave them for others.With your news Beale Street is silent it reminds me of the song where the music died. Covid 19 has so many consequences. Yet apathy and arrogant disregard of its implications for others I even more deplore. May the music rest and when the time is right...its megwatts ignite the night!
29th July 2020

Memphis Music Museums
You used your time wisely. If you make a second trip we will suggest a couple of these. It does feel like it is the day the music died. So sad and we agree we do not need to be in this spot at this moment. Unlikely to end any time soon. Eager for it to ignite the night.
31st July 2020

Memphis
What a perfect place for you both to spend time in, I remember how much you love music, particularly the Blues ? Great that the places are so quiet at the moment, I'm finding that over here too ? I do hope that Beale Street opens up soon for you both. Thank you for an informative and inspirational read ?
31st July 2020

Memphis
We are surprised and yet not surprised how few people are going to museums right now. It certainly is good for us. We are hopeful Beale Street will open again in a few months. Thank you for commenting. It is always good hearing from you.
21st August 2020
Sun Records

A future theme trip I will take
Sounds like a rock'n'roll themed trip in Memphis would be interesting. I am planning on making a visit to London and go and visit rock'n'roll related sites there. The Abbey Road Studios, the tree Marc Bolan crashed into, the hotel where Jimi Hedrix died, the studio where Queen recorded "We will Rock you" are some of the places I will visit then. /Ake
21st August 2020
Sun Records

A future theme trip
Many people come from around the world to do the blues trail to include Nashville, Memphis, Clarksdale where it all started and end in New Orleans. You can do a European music trip followed by a U.S. music trip. MJ

Tot: 0.17s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 19; qc: 34; dbt: 0.1121s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb