Stompin' Around the Cemeteries


Advertisement
Published: April 8th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Joseph Divine's HeadstoneJoseph Divine's HeadstoneJoseph Divine's Headstone

This headstone explains how Joseph Divine was killed. He is buried at Big Creek Cemetery.
Day 3 - Pancakes downstairs at the Comfort Inn. We found out the Madisonville Library is closed on Mondays and decided to visit the cemeteries.

Big Creek Cemetery - Will all the Breedens please stand! (Oops!). No Breedens but found Joseph Divine! Headstone tells about his capture and murder at the end of the Civil War. He had 2 children by Bettie Raper while married to Nancy Hicks. Nancy and Bettie were cousins. I'm sure his murder was related to the war and not his extra-curricular activities.

Stopped at Tellico Plains museum & gift shop. Off to Rafter to visit Mt. Isabella where Meredith Raper preached & in search of his mother Rutha's headstone (Giles-Roberts cemetery). Not as easy as it sounds!

Mt. Isabella Church - Door was unlocked, so we went in. Tried to imagine what it was like when Meredith preached here. Betty feels a special attachment to Meredith but admits she probably wouldn't get along with him if he was here. She thinks he probably had a "preacher's ego." We couldn't find Giles-Roberts, so drove back to Tellico Plains. Went into a bakery cafe. Talked to some old codgers who told us the Giles-Roberts cemetery
Mt.. Isabella Church at RafterMt.. Isabella Church at RafterMt.. Isabella Church at Rafter

This church was started by Meredith Raper who served as it's first preacher.
was back the way we came - Rafter. So back we went! We turned right at the fire dept. and the cemetery was on the right. We found Rutha's grave and communed with her for a while. It's too bad we don't know where her husband, William, rests for eternity. He supposedly died in Bradley Co. What was he doing there?

We came back to Sweetwater and left another note for Jerry Snider. He finally called and we agreed to meet Tues. night. We at at the Dinner Bell. Great buffet!


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement

Betty Muses About MeredithBetty Muses About Meredith
Betty Muses About Meredith

Betty feels close to Meredith. She tries to imagine what he was like.


Tot: 0.072s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0416s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb