End of Tour Update


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Tennessee » Madisonville
February 7th 2009
Published: February 7th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Greetings to everyone.

We have received many e-mails from many of you trying to figure out exactly what the heck is going on with us.

We returned to the United States on the 7th of January, 2009. WOW, what an exciting month it has been since our return.

We are presently staying with Lynne's sister on the mountain top outside of Coker Creek, Tennessee.

During the last month, we have been scouring the State of Tennesse looking for the right property for us.

After traveling the world and seeing so many wonderful people along the way, we have decided to modify our lifestyle tremendously and begin to live a more self-sufficient lifestyle. I don't have to tell any of you about the current state of our economy. This coupled with many of the self-sufficient lifestyles we saw in our travels has convinced us that we will embark upon this type of living.

So, what does this really mean? Yesterday, we signed a contract to purchase a small farm here in Tennessee. Yes, you heard me right--a farm. Well, it's not really a full blown farm, but something we would consider a mini-farm. We have 6.98 acres of great land, a great barn, an abundance of oak and hicorky trees, wild berry patches, horse pasuture, chicken coop, fenced pastures, a stream and small pond and a comfortable country home.

We plan to start our farm out on a simple notew by getting our first crop in the ground beginning in March. We will start with a small garden and expand next year after we condition the soil in an adjacent area to the current garden plot.

Our next objective is to begin with a single beehive and begin some home-grown honey production. Chickens are next on the list so we can begin harvesting our own farm-fresh eggs. Down the road, we plan to raise a few goats then get into some other livestock. I guess we need to start slow and ease into this whole new lifestyle.

JUst to let everyone know, there were a few things on our trip that really helped solidify our decision to jump into this adventure. Visiting Lynne's cousin Frank and his lovely wife Janet in the French countryside, had a very significant imapct on us. They have a remarkable garden and home in the country. Also, visiting our friends, Dan, Marianne, and Anna in Germany gave us the opportunity to appreciate "The Egg Man" and locally grown items. We were also impressed that you cooked with herbs straight from your herb garden.

Next week, we will be heading to Florida for the birth of two Grandchilren and spend some time with Katrina, Jackie, and Daniel. Time will be limited in Florida because we need to be back here in Tennessee to close on our farm on the 4th of March.

After we get settled in our new farm, friends and family will always have a place to stay. We may put a pitchfork in your hands or have you collect farm fresh eggs, but I'm sure anyone would enjoy the layed back country life. Dawn, I have a shovel reserved for you anytime you want to come and spend some time with us.

By the way, I am still working on getting the blog up to date so bear with me until I get a chance to publish them.

Please feel free to leavew us a note here or on our yahoo e-mail--(wanderingson). We would be delighted to hear from you.



Advertisement



7th February 2009

Yes!
Congratulations Lynne and John! We are happy for you. It sounds like a beautiful place and perfect for your needs. Also, it will be nice to have you that close. We are looking forward to seeing it when you get back. Jack and Judi
7th February 2009

Well done!
We are very pleased to hear you have now returned safely and both feel confident that whatever you decide to do next will be as good to hear about (another blog????). Your remarks about visiting us here in Brittany were very kind. The bottom line is to find what best suits yourselves and give it your best shots.
7th February 2009

HAY!
The question is are you guys going to have HAY?
8th February 2009

HAY
Dan, I thought you said it was straw? Now I'm really confused. haha. I am the Egg Man--I am the Walrus.....
8th February 2009

Garden
Frank and Janet, Perhaps we can have a wonderful garden such as yours. We will keep you posted. Again, thanks for the hospitality and wonderful companionship.
9th February 2009

snakes
Welcome home. Just don't kill the snakes, they eat the rats and mice. You have to have a barn snake:0
9th February 2009

Snakes
Robyn, We will most likely get a few barn cats to eat the mice. Hopefully that will keep the snakes away.
10th February 2009

adventure, exciting well done experience
i am glad for your safe return in the USA, and to be honest with you, you choice the right decision for having a farm, how lovely i can be one of your assistant in your farm if you need one. he he he I miss you guys. take care and best of luck in your new future plans. keep in touch.... Lorna and family TMC Camp arifjan Kuwait
11th February 2009

HUH?!?
Who are you and what did you do with my Aunt??? Sounds like a great lifestyle...good luck with the farm...you'll have to send pictures since it will probably not be possible to visit with Paige. Love y'all!

Tot: 0.069s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0475s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb