Road Tripping It to TN


Advertisement
Published: May 14th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Our journey to the Smokey Mountains of TN, began with a road trip from Miami, FL. For me this was the first time I would be driving such a distance to get to our destination and Jay kept reminding me that you have to consider the days spent on the road as part of the vacation - OK!

Our first leg took us to Jacksonville, where we bunked over night, then we finished the trip passing through, Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina before arriving in Tennessee. For Jay having road tripped before, he was like a kid wanting to take advantage of the many cheesy tourist traps offering the “best Peaches in GA!” or “We make all kinds of Cider” stands. My urging for a more civilized road trip fell on deaf ears and so we arrived at our cabin rental with a 5lb bag of pecans, some scary looking cured bacon that did not need refrigeration, preserves and a basket of strawberries.

The most interesting part of the drive had to be the last three hours, which coincided with me finally taking over the wheel. Yep, had I known the winding, twisting, sometimes heart pounding asphalt that laid a head I might not of insisted on driving so much! We basically drove through the Smokey Mountains to get to our cabin which is on the North Western part of TN. It was thrilling experience, mostly due to the close and tight spaces we shared with mac-trucks who were forced to go a slower distance than cars but did not mean that they did not hog their lanes and ours. At one point I had to summon the faith to pass 16 of these trucks driving in a convoy format or a super twisty section of the highway where I was sure we were going to be smushed!

Our last 10 miles of the drive was through a slow road that had lookout points and was lush and green as far as you could see. The mountain vistas are breathtaking and the environment is so different that FL or any other area I have been to that it really does feel like we have magically been transported to a new world.

Here the country roads are lined with Mom and Pop type establishments, the wild flowers are in bloom everywhere and the air smells different - clean, green and healthy.

Our cabins lies on tops of a screech worthy series of hills that have sharp turns to get to. Needless to say since driving in, I have not gotten behind the wheel as I am not made for this kind of driving. Dena on the other hand is thrilled and takes on the challenge without a blink!

We have a nice place to call home for the next few days. A hot top outside pretty much has become Jay’s relax zone since arriving. Gabrielle, Dena’s little girl has been enjoying exploring the house and especially takes amazement in Lola’s crate, liking to climb in and out of it and practice locking Lola inside.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.072s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0417s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb