Corn fit for royalty


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » South Dakota
August 31st 2009
Published: September 1st 2009
Edit Blog Post

Not Mt. RushmoreNot Mt. RushmoreNot Mt. Rushmore

Corn Palace, Mitchell, SD - corny art...
A real road trip day - straight across I-90 from Wisconsin to Minnesota to South Dakota. I now know why they call them the Great Plains... All you have to do is set the cruise control to 75 and make sure you don't fall asleep. The bugs are terrorist sized and splat all over the windshield - it's almost an hourly chore to wipe it clean so you can see out. Lots more corn, interspersed with cows. Lunch at a rest stop, accompanied by an 18 wheeler that should be reported to PETA - must have had thousands of chickens stuffed in tiny cages...guess I'll look for free range chicken from now on.

The highlight of the day was the Corn Palace in Mitchell, SD - it is created every year from more than 3,000 bushels of corn. What a sight...and a uniquely SD one, too! However, clearly someone in Mitchell has a sense of humor - we passed a cheese shop called the Mouse House.

We know we're in the Midwest tonight when Steve orders chicken for dinner and is suprised when it comes deep fried - what were we thinking? Dinner is redeemed by the canned green
Casey's Cafe, Chamberlain, SDCasey's Cafe, Chamberlain, SDCasey's Cafe, Chamberlain, SD

A clear case of culinary indecision
peas he loves - yea for midwestern food! Casey's Cafe in Chamberlain seems to have some difficulty in deciding which side of the culinary divide it wants to land on - per the sign in the photo. Oacama, SD tonight, by the side of the great Missouri River - us and Lewis and Clark doing our thing! Back to our ubiquitous Holiday Inn Express - this one with a twist however - it's on a dirt road. Tomorrow off to Mt. Rushmore.

Advertisement



1st September 2009

I feel as though I'm on that trip!
Good grief, your travelogue is so vivid I could swear I need to stop typing and clean bugs off my computer screen and can smell the truck full of pigs! At first I was discouraged when my Inbox noted 18 e-mails in it at 7 a.m. today, but then I found 7 were from your blog. No wonder you had to cancel one visit -- a girl has to have her blog time each day, doesn't she? Sounds like a fab start to you trip -- truckers and pigs and corn as high as an elephant's eye, followed by fried chicken. As for the nostalgic return to your wedding day -- did Steve take directions on that occasion as well as he apparently did crossing into Canada?? Be safe returning to the "left" side of the country. We need you out here!

Tot: 0.072s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0305s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb