Mount Rushmore and Custer State Park


Advertisement
Published: September 18th 2011
Edit Blog Post

We started the day at Mount Rushmore. The weather gods were smiling on us. The clouds parted and gave us a clear day! While Ed was in the museum I sat on a bench, in the sun, and just studied the monument. It was a inspirational moment. Sometimes you can be in the middle of a crowd and have a wonderful solitary moment. I'm not sure how to describe it, but I was there for several minutes, just enjoying the true beauty of it all.

Ed and I took off for the afternoon by ourselves. We didn't intend to drive far, so we headed off on an interesting road, Iron Mountain Rd to Custer State Park. What a cool road. It had 3 tunnels that were carved into the mountain. The tunnels are one lane tunnels and vary in height and width. The roads were also very windy with sharp turns, FUN! We drove into Custer State Park. The Game Lodge was actually the "summer white House" for Pres. Calvin Coolidge. On the wildlife loop wild burro tried to assault Ed. Sometimes a convertible has a little too much exposure! We took the Blue Star Memorial highway back into town ( more tunnels and hairpin turns) just in time to meet up with everyone.

We returned to Mt. Rushmore for the night program. Cool!



Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Very Narrow TunnelVery Narrow Tunnel
Very Narrow Tunnel

Just look at the car at the other end...
Yet another tunnelYet another tunnel
Yet another tunnel

It's great to have a convertible!


Tot: 0.061s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 11; qc: 30; dbt: 0.03s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb